Michael Kiwanuka-backed campaign hits initial fundraising target
- Credit: YMM
A music school is celebrating smashing its Christmas fundraising target to provide bursaries to students facing financial hardship.
As part of The Big Give fund-matching scheme, Young Music Makers London (YMM) aimed to raise £10,000 - and brought in a total of £12,354 with gift aid.
YMM operates at La Sainte Union School, in Highgate Road, and is supported by singer Kentish Town-based Michael Kiwanuka, who grew up in Muswell Hill.
YMM school director Becky McChrystal said: “Covid-19 has caused a huge demand for our bursary fund, as many more families face financial hardship.
"We are delighted that we will be able to maintain and now expand our opportunities further.
"Thanks go to all who donated to our Christmas challenge.
"We continue to fundraise and encourage anyone who missed out before to visit youngmusicmakers.co.uk/supportus to make a donation this Christmas”
Between December 1 and 8, donations were matched by The Big Give.
YMM’s bursary fund currently supports 15 students with free music lessons, group sessions and instrument hire.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 3 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 4 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 5 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 10 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day