A fatal fire in Kentish Town was likely caused by an e-bike lithium battery fire, London Fire Brigade has said.

Emergency services were scrambled to Woodyard Close at 6.56am on July 6 to reports of a fire in a terraced council home. 

Firefighters found a man on the ground floor of the property, who was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Five other people managed to leave the building before the brigade arrived.

Most of the ground and first floors of the mid-terraced house that had been converted into flats were gutted by flames.

Camden Council and LFB, which is still investigating the cause, are urging people to follow guidance for charging and storing electric bikes and scooters safely due to safety concerns about overheating lithium batteries.

David George, LFB borough commander for Camden, said: “Our fire investigators believe the most probable cause of the fire is due to a lithium battery pack failure, that was charging an e-bike.

"I would like to remind all residents to follow our advice to store and charge your e-vehicles safely, and only buy from a reputable seller.

"Our full advice can be found on the brigade’s website. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time.”

LFB advice includes not blocking exits with charging batteries or e-bike and e-scooters and to store them, if possible, in a shed or garage.

Officers suggest looking out for warning signs that the battery might be failing and becoming a fire risk and to never leave it to charge while asleep or away from it. 

Buy chargers from a reputable seller, let it cool before charging it and unplug it once the battery has charged.

Fit smoke alarms in the area where you charge your batteries, they said.

The council is also reminding its tenants that they should not store or charge e-bikes, scooters, or wheelchairs in the communal areas of their building.

Cllr Georgia Gould, leader of Camden Council, said their "thoughts and sympathies remain with the family and friends of the resident who tragically lost his life" as they continue "to support those who have been affected at this very difficult time".

She added: "We await the full investigation report into the fire from the London Fire Brigade.

“However, given what we know from initial findings, we cannot delay in getting a message about safe charging out to our residents.

“By following the London Fire Brigade’s advice for charging batteries, residents can keep themselves and their neighbours safe.”