WIN tickets to Highgate Choral Society performance at Barbican
AS PART of its 130th birthday celebrations, Highgate Choral Society is performing The Apostles by Elgar at The Barbican on Thursday, April 2 at 7.30pm and we have 10 pairs of tickets to give away to lucky readers. Upon receiving the completed manuscript o
AS PART of its 130th birthday celebrations, Highgate Choral Society is performing The Apostles by Elgar at The Barbican on Thursday, April 2 at 7.30pm and we have 10 pairs of tickets to give away to lucky readers.
Upon receiving the completed manuscript of The Apostles in 1903, Edward Elgar's music publisher, AJ Jaeger (Nimrod of the Enigma Variations), cautioned that ''it will take the British public 10 years'' to accept that this is ''certainly your maturest and greatest work''.
More than a century later, Highgate Choral Society's performance at The Barbican is set to prove without doubt that Elgar's publisher was indeed right - even if his timing was not - and that this masterful work has come of age.
This timely concert, in the run up to Easter, promises to be stunning. With six acclaimed soloists, the New London Orchestra, and over 180 choral singers of the HCS, this rarely-performed oratorio by Elgar is a real treasure.
You may also want to watch:
By giving central roles to the flawed characters of Peter, Mary Magdalene and particularly Judas, Elgar tells a very human story that attracts even the most contemporary audiences, of any faith or none.
Ronald Corp will give a free pre-performance talk. It is well worth coming early for these popular and illuminating talks, which always add to the audience's enjoyment of the evening.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
Founded in 1878, the HCS is one of the UK's oldest and most successful choirs. As part of its 130th birthday celebrations, it will tour to Estonia and Finland in May 2009.
Tickets costing from �8-�28 are available from the Barbican Centre, Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS (www.barbican.org.uk) but for your chance to win one of 10 pairs of tickets pair of tickets, simply tell us Elgar's first name.
Send your answer by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by postcard to Elgar Competition, Ham&High, 100A Avenue Road, Hampstead NW3 3HF to arrive not later than noon on Monday, March 30, remembering to include your daytime contact details.