WHO'S WHO: West Hampstead trader Farid Afshar
West End Lane trader Farid Afshar is one of many in West Hampstead who are backing the Ham&High s Keep It Local campaign. He runs an electrical shop. HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED or WORKED IN WEST HAMPSTEAD? I ve worked here for 12 and a half years but I do
West End Lane trader Farid Afshar is one of many in West Hampstead who are backing the Ham&High's Keep It Local campaign. He runs an electrical shop.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED or WORKED IN WEST HAMPSTEAD?
I've worked here for 12 and a half years but I don't live here.
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS HERE?
I lived in north west London and was very familiar with the area. I used to work at an electrical shop in Kilburn, so I set up my own here in West Hampstead and it has been successful, up until now anyway.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT THE AREA?
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
It's nice and friendly and close to all areas. It's residential mostly so we have a lot of local customers.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING?
The parking has to be the worst thing, and also the rates are very high - which is Camden all over; it's an outlay of nearly £800 a month for us. Parking is not easy at all.
WHAT IS MISSING?
Other traders. There are too many estate agents, restaurants and charity shops instead of professional traders. There used to be a butcher's and a hardware store but now they are gone because they couldn't cope with the rates.
WHAT LOCAL BUILDING IS YOUR FAVOURITE?
The whole high street is very enjoyable just to walk down. It's like a village... everyone knows each other.
WHich LOCAL RESTAURANT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ?
The Banana Tree across the road is a quite nice restaurant. The food is very good and so is the service.
WHich ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN WEST HAMPSTEAD
West End Lane Bookshop is quite good.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would slow down the traffic wardens. They make life very hard for the traders around here. It is quite tough.
WHO WAS THE LAST CELEBRITY YOU SAW IN THE AREA?
Emma Thompson was here some weeks ago, as was her husband Greg Wise. The big guy, the one who did a programme across America... Stephen Fry, he has been here a few times.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I'd buy my shop, renovate the whole building and give a better service to West Hampstead. Oh, and I'd take a holiday.
IF YOU HAD TO TWIN WEST HAMPSTEAD WITH ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE WOULD THAT BE AND WHY?
I would say Mill Hill because it is also residential and a nice family area. Did you expect somewhere in another country? - I can't think to be honest, it's West Hampstead, I don't think you could compare it with anywhere else.
WRITE YOUR OWN EPITAPH.
'The Cable Guy,' maybe.