WHO'S WHO: West Hampstead trader Farid Afshar
West End Lane trader Farid Afshar is one of many in West Hampstead who are backing the Ham&High s Keep It Local campaign. He runs an electrical shop. HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED or WORKED IN WEST HAMPSTEAD? I ve worked here for 12 and a half years but I do
West End Lane trader Farid Afshar is one of many in West Hampstead who are backing the Ham&High's Keep It Local campaign. He runs an electrical shop.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED or WORKED IN WEST HAMPSTEAD?
I've worked here for 12 and a half years but I don't live here.
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS HERE?
You may also want to watch:
I lived in north west London and was very familiar with the area. I used to work at an electrical shop in Kilburn, so I set up my own here in West Hampstead and it has been successful, up until now anyway.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT THE AREA?
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 3 Highgate's Well Pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster vaccines with flu jabs
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 7 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 8 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
It's nice and friendly and close to all areas. It's residential mostly so we have a lot of local customers.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING?
The parking has to be the worst thing, and also the rates are very high - which is Camden all over; it's an outlay of nearly £800 a month for us. Parking is not easy at all.
WHAT IS MISSING?
Other traders. There are too many estate agents, restaurants and charity shops instead of professional traders. There used to be a butcher's and a hardware store but now they are gone because they couldn't cope with the rates.
WHAT LOCAL BUILDING IS YOUR FAVOURITE?
The whole high street is very enjoyable just to walk down. It's like a village... everyone knows each other.
WHich LOCAL RESTAURANT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ?
The Banana Tree across the road is a quite nice restaurant. The food is very good and so is the service.
WHich ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN WEST HAMPSTEAD
West End Lane Bookshop is quite good.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would slow down the traffic wardens. They make life very hard for the traders around here. It is quite tough.
WHO WAS THE LAST CELEBRITY YOU SAW IN THE AREA?
Emma Thompson was here some weeks ago, as was her husband Greg Wise. The big guy, the one who did a programme across America... Stephen Fry, he has been here a few times.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I'd buy my shop, renovate the whole building and give a better service to West Hampstead. Oh, and I'd take a holiday.
IF YOU HAD TO TWIN WEST HAMPSTEAD WITH ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE WOULD THAT BE AND WHY?
I would say Mill Hill because it is also residential and a nice family area. Did you expect somewhere in another country? - I can't think to be honest, it's West Hampstead, I don't think you could compare it with anywhere else.
WRITE YOUR OWN EPITAPH.
'The Cable Guy,' maybe.