WHO'S WHO: SUZI MARTIN, singer, songwriter, landlady
Suzi Martin, landlady of the Torriano pub in Kentish Town, is trying to avoid the closure of her business. Singer of The Torrianos, a band composed of herself and of two other staff members, she has written a song in a bid to help to save the pub. She ha
Suzi Martin, landlady of the Torriano pub in Kentish Town, is trying to avoid the closure of her business. Singer of The Torrianos, a band composed of herself and of two other staff members, she has written a song in a bid to help to save the pub. She has been living in the area for seven years.
What do you like most about Kentish Town?
It's really vibrant and diverse. In my job I'm always meeting new people so for me its the people, and being so close to the Heath and Regent's Park - they are my sanctuary.
What is the worst thing about the area?
You may also want to watch:
Traffic wardens... I'm constantly watching them from the pub, jumping out from nowhere and slapping tickets on people's cars as they're trying to drive off or get into their car. Its extreme.
Which local building is your favourite and why?
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 7 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 New sixth form site for Westminster school gets go-ahead
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
Well I have to say the Torriano. It has changed a bit over the 100 years it's been here, but is steeped in history, as if the walls are breathing. There is something very mystical about this place. Someone once told me we're on the lay lines, perhaps that would account for it.
and your favourite local restaurant is...?
I would usually go further afield to find a really good restaurant. My partner Dean is an amazing cook, so there's no competition really. However, we went for dinner at The Lord Stanley at the weekend and that was nice.
What do you do in the area at weekends?
Weekends are the busiest time for us at the Torriano so I'm always here, but honestly there is no place I'd rather be. There's a great buzz that is quite unique to the Torriano, although next week I'm looking forward to the Mustard Club. It's like a 1930s speakeasy club. You have to be a member, but there are some amazing acts - it's the place to be.
If you were mayor for a day, what would you do?
If I were mayor for a day I'd throw a massive musical festival on the Heath. All the great Kentish Town bands would be there. The Torrianos, Dansette Junior, So Say So, Kav, Vaults, Folk Soul Brother, Mr Hudson & The Library, and loads more... it would have to be a weekender.
Who was the last celebrity you saw in the area?
My good friend Peter Doherty, he popped in to see us for before heading off to Paris. It's hard to think of him as a celebrity because he's probably one of the nicest down to earth people I've met.