WHO'S WHO: SARAH BARRETT, charity shop manager
Sarah Barrett is manager of the Mind charity shop on Archway Road, Highgate. She has recently begun to put up warning notices in her shop because of abusive behaviour from some customers. What do you like most about HIGHGATE? Highgate is basically a ve
Sarah Barrett is manager of the Mind
charity shop on Archway Road, Highgate. She has recently begun to put up warning notices in her shop because of abusive behaviour from some customers.
What do you like most about HIGHGATE?
Highgate is basically a very nice community-based area and I really like working here. The people are generally very friendly.
You may also want to watch:
What do you like least about THE AREA?
Believe it or not it's actually quite dirty. There's a fair bit of pollution. I'd also have to mention that there can be a lot of thieves here, which adds a little unpleasantness to the area.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
What do you do at the weekend?
I normally go out where I live, which is Greenwich. It's a great area, very much like Highgate. I guess you could say it has quite a Bohemian atmosphere. It's very cosmopolitan.
Where was your last holiday?
I went to Ireland to visit my friend who lives there. Ireland is a very lovely, beautiful country. You have to be there to really understand.
What book are you reading at the moment?
At the moment I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. My mother-in-law recommended the book to me and I'm enjoying it so far. I'd say more about it but really I've only
just started it.
What was your most memorable day in the area?
I remember just before Christmas when Ray Davis came into the shop. I felt like getting my Kinks CD out and playing it loud. I felt very honoured that he'd chosen to come into my shop.
do you have any tips for people moving to highgate?
Well, I don't actually live here but I would encourage people to explore the woods. We're right next to Hampstead Heath so there's no excuse not to take advantage of that. However, I'd also warn people to keep a tight hold on their purses.
What would you do if you were mayor for the day?
I'd simply ban all cars and make public transport completely free. We've got to do our bit for the planet. It's too late not to.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE GIVEN A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY?
I would fly over to Brazil and help the street children. The situation there is absolutely awful and needs to be addressed. Child poverty is a particular concern of mine.