WHO'S WHO: SARAH BARRETT, charity shop manager
Sarah Barrett is manager of the Mind charity shop on Archway Road, Highgate. She has recently begun to put up warning notices in her shop because of abusive behaviour from some customers. What do you like most about HIGHGATE? Highgate is basically a ve
Sarah Barrett is manager of the Mind
charity shop on Archway Road, Highgate. She has recently begun to put up warning notices in her shop because of abusive behaviour from some customers.
What do you like most about HIGHGATE?
Highgate is basically a very nice community-based area and I really like working here. The people are generally very friendly.
You may also want to watch:
What do you like least about THE AREA?
Believe it or not it's actually quite dirty. There's a fair bit of pollution. I'd also have to mention that there can be a lot of thieves here, which adds a little unpleasantness to the area.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Injury concerns spoil Arsenal's win over Sheffield United
What do you do at the weekend?
I normally go out where I live, which is Greenwich. It's a great area, very much like Highgate. I guess you could say it has quite a Bohemian atmosphere. It's very cosmopolitan.
Where was your last holiday?
I went to Ireland to visit my friend who lives there. Ireland is a very lovely, beautiful country. You have to be there to really understand.
What book are you reading at the moment?
At the moment I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. My mother-in-law recommended the book to me and I'm enjoying it so far. I'd say more about it but really I've only
just started it.
What was your most memorable day in the area?
I remember just before Christmas when Ray Davis came into the shop. I felt like getting my Kinks CD out and playing it loud. I felt very honoured that he'd chosen to come into my shop.
do you have any tips for people moving to highgate?
Well, I don't actually live here but I would encourage people to explore the woods. We're right next to Hampstead Heath so there's no excuse not to take advantage of that. However, I'd also warn people to keep a tight hold on their purses.
What would you do if you were mayor for the day?
I'd simply ban all cars and make public transport completely free. We've got to do our bit for the planet. It's too late not to.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE GIVEN A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY?
I would fly over to Brazil and help the street children. The situation there is absolutely awful and needs to be addressed. Child poverty is a particular concern of mine.