WHO'S WHO: retired surgeon and veteran runner Geoffrey Walker
Geoffrey Walker, an 81-year-old orthopaedic surgeon, completed the Crouch End 10k fun run last week. He lives in Highgate Village. How long have you lived in Highgate? I have lived here for 20 years, ever since my first retirement, and now, in my secon
Geoffrey Walker, an 81-year-old orthopaedic surgeon, completed the Crouch End 10k fun run last week. He lives in Highgate Village.
How long have you lived in Highgate?
I have lived here for 20 years, ever since my first retirement, and now, in my second retirement, I have found myself staying here.
Where else have you lived?
I grew up in Kentish Town, but went to Highgate School. Since then, I have lived in Epsom, where I was a consultant. My work has taken me all over the world, to America, Asia and Africa, and recently I travelled abroad as a voluntary professor of orthopaedic surgery.
What is your favourite thing about the area?
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
It's the nicest place in the world to live. It's full of leafy surroundings, such as the Heath, and the people are very pleasant to each other.
What is the worst thing?
You can't get to the West End without changing bus or tube. I go to the opera quite a lot, and there's no direct link from near my house - I live between Archway and Highgate tube stations. Also, the traffic can get very bad in rush hour.
Which is your favourite shop in the area?
There's no favourite in particular, but as a neighbourhood parade, Highgate Village is wonderful as I can get absolutely everything that I'd ever need.
What is missing from the area?
As I said, transport links are not great. Apart from that, everything else is here.
If you were mayor for a day, what would you do?
The 263 bus needs to be a double-decker, there's no question. I would also make the 63 bus from Parliament Hill to Oxford Circus extend its journey slightly up to Highgate Village.
Who was the last celebrity you saw in the area?
I know that there are plenty of celebrities who live around there, but I wouldn't recognise any of them if I saw them.
What tips would you give to somebody moving to the area?
Have a pretty large bank account! Property at the moment here is very expensive, but otherwise other amenities are generally quite reasonable and the schooling is very good.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate Village?
You can't really twin Highgate with anywhere else, but of London in general, I would twin the capital with Bangkok, as I feel very comfortable in both places.