WHO'S WHO: Michael Goodwin, bookshop owner
Michael Goodwin owns the Highgate Bookshop in Bisham Gardens. He is originally from Sheffield and is a keen Sheffield Wednesday football fan. How long have you been in Highgate? I have been in the book trade since leaving university. I bought the shop i
Michael Goodwin owns the Highgate Bookshop in Bisham Gardens. He is originally from Sheffield and is a keen Sheffield Wednesday football fan.
How long have you been in Highgate?
I have been in the book trade since leaving university. I bought the shop in 2000. I'm actually a resident of Cricklewood since 1982 but I spend a lot of time in Highgate as this is where I work.
Why did you decide to move here?
You may also want to watch:
I worked for In Books and met Elizabeth Millar. She said I should buy the bookshop in Highgate, adding that it had just come on the market. In a sense, she is the 'Godmother' of the bookshop. We used to meet a lot at parties.
What do you like most about the area?
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
I like the small community atmosphere and especially the people. Plus I love London. It's unlike any other city.
What do you I dislike the most?
The heavy traffic is chaos.
What is the biggest eyesore around here?
The police tower in Bisham Gardens. It covers the church steeple and is a huge blot on the landscape. Apparently, it's also blown down several times.
What is your favourite building?
The Fischer & Sperr antiquarian bookshop. It conjures up a different world since it's such an old building with marvellous books.
What are your favourite shops?
There are two. The first is Highgate Stationery. They have everything anyone could want. The other is Highgate Butchers for the excellent produce they sell.
What are your favourite local places to eat and drink?
The Red Lion and Sun. They have a wonderful atmosphere. It's warm and cozy with two log fires.
If you had to twin Highgate with any other place in the world, where would it be and why?
Deal in Kent, just up the coast from Dover. It's such a magical spot by the sea.
Who was the last celebrity you saw in the area?
The comedian Craig Charles came in yesterday afternoon. He played Dave Lister in the British cult-favourite sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf.