WHO'S WHO: Hampstead newsagent Nina Malviya
Nila Malviya runs the Village Newsagent in Heath Street, Hampstead, with her husband. She has been getting up early to work in the area for the last 22 years. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO WORK IN HAMPSTEAD? My husband originally started the shop, so I didn t r
Nila Malviya runs the Village Newsagent in Heath Street, Hampstead, with her husband. She has been getting up early to work in the area for the last 22 years.
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO WORK IN HAMPSTEAD?
My husband originally started the shop, so I didn't really have a choice. If he had set it up in another area I would have refused. Other areas are not as nice. Hampstead is a very nice area, so I can't complain.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT HAMPSTEAD?
The people are very kind. There's a nice sense of community.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING?
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 4 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 5 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 6 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 7 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 8 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 9 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
- 10 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
The worst thing is the parking, and you'll find that many people will agree with that. It's often very hard to find spots.
WHAT IS MISSING?
Hampstead needs more useful shops. There are too many boutiques and clothing shops. Tesco is the only supermarket and it lacks variety. There should be different food markets to cater to everyone.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN HAMPSTEAD?
Andrews Hardware store because it has everything. The store is very useful, and the people are very nice. It's a local store.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL RESTAURANT?
Villa Bianca is the best restaurant in town. My second favourite would be the Indian restaurant Woodlands, on Heath Street. Both are very good.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would give free parking for a day in London. Parking is very difficult here. But there might be too many cars in Hampstead then.
IF YOU HAD TO TWIN HAMPSTEAD WITH ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE WOULD THAT BE AND WHY?
The suburbs of Nairobi where there are beautiful buildings and it's hilly, like Hampstead. I wouldn't twin it with the main city, which isn't as nice and not at all like Hampstead
WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING AT THE MOMENT?
I'm reading When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Peter Godwin. It's about Zimbabwe and it's very interesting.
4x4 OR PUBLIC TRANSPORT?
Car, because of the convenience. My husband and I live in Harrow, so we wake up early and get here by 5am. No public transport is available at that time
FOOTBALL OR CRICKET?
My family grew up with both, but cricket was always more popular. It is also a gentler sport.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would help my family and share it with them. If I had any left over, I would give it to an epilepsy charity that my daughter is passionate about.