WHO'S WHO: Georgina Camiller
Georgina Camiller, 54, has lived in Wellesley House, Somers Town, for more than 13 years. She is unhappy that the builders of a 151-bed hotel just yards away from her home on the Churchway Estate are to install a 36-metre crane in an adjacent communal ga
Georgina Camiller, 54, has lived in Wellesley House, Somers Town, for more than 13 years. She is unhappy that the builders of a 151-bed hotel just yards away from her home on the Churchway Estate are to install a 36-metre crane in an adjacent communal garden which will be used by up to seven lorries a day for 50 weeks.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT SOMERS TOWN?
It is very difficult to come up with anything I like about Somers Town at the moment. When I first moved here it was much better than it is now - there was much more of a community feeling. This new building going up, which has haunted us for two years, has destroyed the sense of community spirit.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING ABOUT SOMERS TOWN?
You may also want to watch:
Obviously the new building, but the area is also very noisy and has a lot of pollution and there are not enough parks or green spaces. The new building will only make the noise and pollution even more horrendous.
WHAT IS MISSING FROM SOMERS TOWN?
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
There are not enough trees and green spaces. There should be more of these close by for people to use.
WHAT IS SOMERS TOWN'S BIGGEST EYESORE?
They haven't built it yet. There are so many ugly buildings and the general area is not very attractive.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL BUILDING?
My favourite local building would have to be the church on the corner of Euston Road and Woburn Place. It has a clock that chimes every 15 minutes from 7am to midnight and feels like a real village clock, which is nice.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN SOMERS TOWN?
My favourite shop is WH Smith in Euston station because I really love books.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL RESTAURANT?
Pasta Plus in Eversholt Street is my favourite. It does really good Italian food. It is two minutes away from my house and the food is always good.
WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE AREA AT WEEKENDS?
I try to get out of the area at weekends. I sometimes go to West Hampstead to see my mum or visit friends. I try to get away from the inner city.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would get rid of this planned building. I would also have to reconsider an awful lot of buildings and works applications in the city. I would also make sure it is a democracy and local people get their fair say, which is not the case at the moment.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I would buy a big house in the countryside, in the middle of nowhere, and take all my family and go and live there. We would have all the wildlife and open space, everything we don't have living here.