WHO'S WHO: Florence Waller, Camden market trader
Florence Waller from Kentish Town Road works at the Curiosity Shop in Stables Market. She witnessed first-hand the fire at the canal market three weeks ago, which has ruined dozens of other traders. How long have you been living and working in the ar
Florence Waller from Kentish Town Road works at the Curiosity Shop in Stables Market. She witnessed first-hand the fire at the canal market three weeks ago, which has ruined dozens of other traders.
How long have you been living and working in the area?
Since September 2006 and I've been working here for almost a year.
Why did you decide to live HERE?
You may also want to watch:
My friend who went to UCL was living in Camden Hall, so I knew my way around. It was the most familiar place for me to move to.
What do you most like about Camden Town?
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station
You can go around unnoticed, and you can dress like a freak if you want to. It is quite an accepting place.
What is the worst thing?
There is quite a lot of violence, and everywhere you walk you have people trying to offer you drugs. I find that quite irritating.
What's missing from the area?
Well at the moment I'm standing in the Stables Market and I can see that half of it has been knocked down, and that's a travesty.
What is the biggest eyesore?
The building site within the market. It's definitely an 'ear-sore'.
What is your favourite local building?
Probably where I work, the Horse Hospital.
Which are your favourite shops?
Well I have to say my shop, because my boss is here! But I also really like Super Save, near my flat. It's a newsagents and they are always really nice to me there.
DO YOU HAVE favourite places to eat and drink?
There's a Vietnamese restaurant on Parkway that is really nice. My favourite pub used to be the Hawley Arms, but that's gone in the fire. I haven't been out in a while - just mainly going for drinks in friends' houses.
If you were Mayor for a day, what would you do?
I think I'd have to organise a naked beauty pageant for women, like a naked Miss World! I also like Routemaster buses so I'd bring them back. I'd also like schoolchildren to wear Gingham and Paisley for a day!
where in the world would you twin Camden with, and why?
Probably Las Vegas. I went there for Christmas and it was amazing. We definitely need more slot machines here!
Who was the last celebrity you spotted in the area?
Leslie Feist, the Canadian singer-songwriter, came into the shop recently. She was very nice. She bought a sequin dress which she wore on the MTV album chart show.
What book are you reading at the moment?
Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. I'm not far from the end.
If you had a million pounds to spend in a day, what would you spend it on?
I'd probably buy a house and not have to worry about the rent.