WHO'S WHO: EPIC award winner Martin Toogood
Martin Toogood, 39, has lived in Swiss Cottage for nearly ten years. Last week he won the Exceptional Contribution to Sport and Leisure in Camden s heroes awards for his work in saving Hampstead FC. WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT SWISS COTTAGE? It is close
Martin Toogood, 39, has lived in Swiss Cottage for nearly ten years. Last week he won the Exceptional Contribution to Sport and Leisure in Camden's heroes awards for his work in saving Hampstead FC.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT SWISS COTTAGE?
It is close to Regent's Park and the Heath. It's a great base for exploring the rest of London. The community sports facilities are good and it's a safe area for my kids to grow up in.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING?
You may also want to watch:
It is too far away from Coventry! And more 11-a-side football pitches would really change our lives.
WHAT IS HAMPSTEAD'S BIGGEST EYESORE?
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
Snowman House on Abbey Road. They have just done it up and painted it but they should have tried to make it more discreet because it is still very intrusive.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL BUILDING?
I'd say the library, now it has been done up with new lights. They have done a really good job. I also like Lords.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN THE AREA?
My kids love Argos but I really like M & D Grodzinski, the bread shop. It's an old style shop that you don't see much nowadays. The staff are really friendly and the sandwiches are great. They bake their own bread and the tuna and egg ones are lovely. I get lunch there when I can for a treat.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL RESTAURANT?
I really like Green Cottage on Finchley Road or The China Garden. My kids like Chinese and the food is good.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL PUB?
The Sir Richard Steele, Haverstock Hill. There are a few lovely characters in there. It really reflects the mix of people in the area, with rich and poor. It's a good old fashioned pub.
WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE AREA AT WEEKENDS?
When I am not doing football training I like to walk on the Heath and spend time with my family, going out to eat or to the cinema. I also go to mass regularly.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I'd pass a decree to make sure we were able to build a sports complex locally for the kids to play sport in the area.
WHO WAS THE LAST CELEBRITY YOU SAW IN THE AREA?
A friend who came to visit from the north was complaining that he hadn't seen any celebrities when we turned a corner and there was Rolf Harris. It was so funny.
ANY TIPS FOR PEOPLE MOVING TO SWISS COTTAGE?
You might miss Talacre Community Sports Centre in Kentish Town if you didn't know it was there. I would recommend some of the pubs like The Spread Eagle on Parkway or The Engineer in Primrose Hill for pub food. Lemonia on Regents Park Road is well-known but it's really good.
HOW WOULD YOU SPEND A MILLION POUNDS IN A DAY?
Buy myself a big house over-looking the Heath.