WHO'S WHO: Dr Aubrey Sandman
Dr Aubrey Sandman is a retired electrical engineer who lives in Primrose Hill. He has criticised Camden Council for works that will cost leaseholders in his Sharpleshall Road housing block thousands of pounds. WHAT S THE BEST THING ABOUT WHERE YOU LIV
Dr Aubrey Sandman is a retired electrical engineer who lives in Primrose Hill. He has criticised Camden Council for works that will cost leaseholders in his Sharpleshall Road housing block thousands of pounds.
WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT WHERE YOU LIVE?
Primrose Hill is very close to the city centre and so is very convenient for me when I need to get to certain places. It's also a very quiet and peaceful area to live in. I couldn't really think of any negatives.
WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME?
You may also want to watch:
Well, I'm retired. I'm approaching 74. I was an active and successful electrical engineer in my time. Right now I'm working on an engineering project of my own. It's an invention that improves negative feedback, which is an important electronic principle.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL BAR OR RESTAURANT?
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
I'm teetotal. You won't find me in any bars that serve alcohol. Being pensioners, we can't go out as often as we'd like, but I do like the local Indian restaurant. There's a good Polish restaurant too. There are also very nice coffee bars. I make use of the eating and drinking guidebooks.
WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING AT THE MOMENT?
I'm not reading a book right now. I do read the IEE Review, an engineering and technology magazine that covers a wide range of topics in that field. I also read several newspapers, such as The Times, The Sunday Times and the Guardian on Thursday. I've recently switched from The Independent on Sunday to The Observer.
whAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR THE DAY?
I'd stop the Olympic Games development. The other locations that attempted to host the games had estimates for the cost that were much lower than here. Far too much is being spent on that when we really need it for more important things. I find it absolutely absurd. Charities really need more money.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I'd invest it with my American stockbroker. That way the money would last longer.
CARS OR PUBLIC TRANSPORT?
Public transport in many cases I would say. However, it is nice to get to places by car sometimes. As for this business with getting greener to save the planet, I don't believe in it. We'll solve this problem through engineering. We need to electrify the roads. It worked with trams. Why not cars?