WHO'S WHO: Community worker Billy Osbourne
Billy Osbourne, 70, has lived in Camden Town all his life. He is a retired printer who now spends his time working for the Castlehaven Community Centre on various charity boards. What do you like most about Camden Town? It s central and I can easil
Billy Osbourne, 70, has lived in Camden Town all his life. He is a retired printer who now spends his time working for the Castlehaven Community Centre on various charity boards.
What do you like most about Camden Town?
It's central and I can easily get to anywhere I want to.
What's the worst thing about it?
You may also want to watch:
The drugs, the villainy, the graffiti - everything that the Lock attracts. It's a high crime spot, so you have to be careful, but it's really not any worse than any other part of London, the crime is just more concentrated because it's an entertainment centre.
What is missing?
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 6 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
The old community. It used to be all old families here, but then all the kids had to move out. It's a treat for my grandkids to come to visit me here and to see the area. It's missing the cohesion it used to have when I was a kid, because of all of the violence.
What's the biggest eyesore in Camden Town?
I'd have to say that Gilgamesh thing they've stuck up on the Camden Lock -as well as all of the graffiti and those tower block flats they've built. But there's really not as much graffiti here as you'll see in other parts.
WhICH are your favourite restaurants and pubs?
I've been going to the Daphne on Bayham Street for 25 years; it's a family run Greek restaurant. And my local pub is the Old Eagle.
If you were mayor for a day, what would you do?
Get rid of those bendy buses for starters, then the road humps. They're all right near schools but the contractors must have had a field day with the money they made from installing them. I would repair the holes in the road too. They're more important than the humps anyway.
If you had a million pounds to spend in A day, what would you do?
I'd take all my family to have a meal at Frederick's in Islington, then have a drink at the pub with all my old mates. I'd sort out any problems that any of my family and mates were having too, but I'm lucky that they're all stable.
Where was your last holiday?
Galway last September. I also went to Australia last year.
Who was the last celebrity you saw in the area?
I saw Jamie Oliver in Regent's Park yesterday afternoon. I think he was making a film or advert or something. I see celebrities in Camden Town all the time.
What tips would you give to people moving to CAMDEN TOWN?
People need to realize that Camden Town is a nice area, but they need to remember that the market attracts the dregs of the capital. They should be wary of pickpockets and drug dealers because they'll find you. One time I had one come up to me on the street and try to sell me Viagra.