WHO'S WHO: CHRIS SMITH, marathon man
Chris Smith recently ran the London Marathon for Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of his dad Al, who died in December. He moved to Highgate six months ago and is settling into life in the village WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO MOVE TO HIGHGATE? It s a lovely
Chris Smith recently ran the London Marathon for Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of his dad Al, who died in December. He moved to Highgate six months ago and is settling into life in the village
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO MOVE TO HIGHGATE?
It's a lovely area and close to where I work as a magazine designer in Camden Town.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT THE AREA?
You may also want to watch:
It's green: the village that I live in is lovely. The area overall is beautiful, and I am five minutes away from Hampstead Heath, which is convenient for me.
WHAT IS THE WORST THING?
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
I don't really have a worst thing, I haven't found anything I dislike at all.
WHAT IS MISSING?
Probably more transport links as we have only a couple of bus routes. I wouldn't change anything else at all really.
WHAT IS THE AREA'S BIGGEST EYESORE?
Probably the huge telephone mast with satellite dishes which ruins the whole landscape of the village and stands out badly. It's not meant to be there. It just looks awkward and wrong.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS IN HIGHGATE?
The Highgate Bookshop next to the post office in the village. There is a wide variety of books there. I love reading and there is a lot to choose from there.
WHICH BOOK ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
The last book that I read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It was fantastic and the first I had read by the author. I really enjoyed the film Capote, that's why I chose to read the book.
DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE LOCAL PUB?
The Wrestlers is a great place to sit in and have a drink. It also has a relaxed atmosphere.
WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE AREA AT THE WEEKENDS?
I go running and I sit in the park. I have a drink at the pub, eat and cook. I look around the shops and that's all that I do here.
WHAT TIPS WOULD YOU GIVE TO PEOPLE MOVING TO THE AREA?
Make sure you get a map of Highgate and visit every aspect of the area. Getting around is easy and very enjoyable.
IF YOU WERE MAYOR FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Organise a community fair for everyone around the High Street.
IF YOU HAD A MILLION POUNDS TO SPEND IN A DAY WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Buy an Aston Martin, a boat, plenty of champagne, and party!
WHERE IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU TWIN HIGHGATE WITH, AND WHY?
Probably St Petersburg in the Czech Republic. Both areas have a fantastic architecture and a beautiful landscape.
WHAT WOULD YOUR CHOSEN EPITAPH BE?
Don't live to work, just work to live.