Film review: We Are The Geordies (12A)
- Credit: Archant
Documentary about the devotion of Newcastle United’s ‘toon army’ is engaging but reveals little different to any other football fans up and down the country
At one point in this documentary about the devotion of Newcastle United fans, a book called Football For Dummies is shown and, if we’re honest, it’s probably a fair judgement.
To a certain degree, all proper, thick’n’thin football fans are in an abusive relationship, but none more so than the Toon Army - followers of NUFC who never win anything and are mismanaged by their owner, self-made billionaire cheapskate Mike Ashley.
Yet still 50,000 plus turn up for home games at St James Park wearing the replica tops.
Though a few big names pop up at the start – Alan Shearer, typecast as the Buddha of the Bleeding Obvious – the film is all about the fans. It follows a selection of them through the ups and downs of a post-relegation season where they are trying to return to the Premiership under the management of Rafa Benitez. They are engaging company, but the film reveals little. The emotions they express and the stories they tell are basically the same as you’d get from followers of any team in the country.
You may also want to watch:
Directed by Hames DeMarco and Zahra Zomorrodian. Featuring Elaine Punton, Sima Haq, George Mitchell, Dave Dixon, Matt Wightman and Clinton Forde. Available on VOD and DVD from December 11th. Running time: 91 mins.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally