Scenes of Hampstead and Highgate hang in Kalendar cafe this autumn
- Credit: Archant
Kentish Town artist Christina Thornley’s ‘Scenes from 2020’ feature locations she feels a strong connection to including the Heath, Holly Lodge Estate and Belsize Park
Artist Christina Thornley exhibits local scenes of Hampstead and Highgate in Kalendar Cafe next month.
Titled ‘Scenes From 2020,’ the evocative oil pastel drawings feature locations which the Chetwynd Road artist feels a strong connection to.
The Heath, Holly Lodge Estate, Belsize Park and Primrose Hill all appear in the artworks, which will hang from November 1 until January 31 at the cafe in Swain’s Lane.
Christina, who studied design in the 90s, and works as a quality manager for housing architects PRP, desribes Holly Lodge as “my oasis in Dartmouth Park”
“It’s drawn from a photo taken early evening in June 2020, with two people sitting on the bench after a hot day. It’s nice walking up the hill within the Estate and then through these gardens. The sun was setting and the light was particularly beautiful.”
Her image of Primrose Hill was inspired “early one evening after the sun had set” at her favourite spot on Regents Park Road “where the flowers are always displayed so beautifully by the greengrocer’s Yeoman’s. And happy memories from Primrose Hill when I worked at Utopia Village for architects Ahrends, Burton and Koralek.”
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 3 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 4 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 7 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 8 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
- 9 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 10 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
And her drawing of Belsize Village evokes one evening in March the week before lockdown when “the sun had set and spring was in the air.”
Christina has previously held exhibitions in London, Cambridge, The Hague and Geneva.