Scenes of Hampstead and Highgate hang in Kalendar cafe this autumn
- Credit: Archant
Kentish Town artist Christina Thornley’s ‘Scenes from 2020’ feature locations she feels a strong connection to including the Heath, Holly Lodge Estate and Belsize Park
Artist Christina Thornley exhibits local scenes of Hampstead and Highgate in Kalendar Cafe next month.
Titled ‘Scenes From 2020,’ the evocative oil pastel drawings feature locations which the Chetwynd Road artist feels a strong connection to.
The Heath, Holly Lodge Estate, Belsize Park and Primrose Hill all appear in the artworks, which will hang from November 1 until January 31 at the cafe in Swain’s Lane.
Christina, who studied design in the 90s, and works as a quality manager for housing architects PRP, desribes Holly Lodge as “my oasis in Dartmouth Park”
You may also want to watch:
“It’s drawn from a photo taken early evening in June 2020, with two people sitting on the bench after a hot day. It’s nice walking up the hill within the Estate and then through these gardens. The sun was setting and the light was particularly beautiful.”
Her image of Primrose Hill was inspired “early one evening after the sun had set” at her favourite spot on Regents Park Road “where the flowers are always displayed so beautifully by the greengrocer’s Yeoman’s. And happy memories from Primrose Hill when I worked at Utopia Village for architects Ahrends, Burton and Koralek.”
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 5 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Finchley welterweight Florian Markun has opportunity to stamp his mark
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
And her drawing of Belsize Village evokes one evening in March the week before lockdown when “the sun had set and spring was in the air.”
Christina has previously held exhibitions in London, Cambridge, The Hague and Geneva.