REVIEW: GeNIA St Mary s Munster Square
GeNIA (so spelt, no surname) is a young Ukrainian pianist distantly related to the uber-pianist Horowitz; and the draw of her recital in this new Regent s Park concert series run by Markson Pianos was the inclusion of music
St Mary's Munster Square
GeNIA (so spelt, no surname) is a young Ukrainian pianist distantly related to the uber-pianist Horowitz; and the draw of her recital in this new Regent's Park concert series run by Markson Pianos was the inclusion of music by Gabriel Prokofiev, London-raised grandson of the great composer.
Two descendents from such celebrated names looked like an interesting combination, and they were. Prokofiev jnr works in pop/commercial music but occasionally steps back into the classical world of his gene pool and had in this case produced a piece that reformulated his grandfather's prickly idiom into streetwise terms, quite effectively.
You may also want to watch:
But with vacuously minimalist Japanese contemporary scores alongside poorly played Rachmaninov and Scriabin, the rest of the programme was disappointing.
Over-pedalled and with little sense of style, it didn't say much for the genes of Horowitz. And that GeNIA played it wearing what seemed to be an inflatable life-vest (no doubt with whistle attached for drawing attention to yourself) didn't help.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 10 Hampstead's Karma Bread thanks Royal Free staff with baked goods