REVIEW: Clock Opera, Dingwalls, Camden Lock, May 2.
WITH their sonic landscapes and trippy samples Clock Opera gave a mesmerising lesson in the art of how to dice up morsels of noise and serve them up to the audience as a mouth watering feast of sound. This electro-guitar outfit is led by Guy Connelly and
WITH their sonic landscapes and trippy samples Clock Opera gave a mesmerising lesson in the art of how to dice up morsels of noise and serve them up to the audience as a mouth watering feast of sound.
This electro-guitar outfit is led by Guy Connelly and with his overtly bushy beard and intensely focused delivery he makes an arresting performer. While the venue largely resounded with the squelchy and shard-like noises of synthesizers, the band brought little patches of simplicity to the show - at one stage hammering on miscellaneous household objects to create a tinny percussive effect.
Over the top of brilliantly sequenced guitar samples Connelly sang soft but direct folky melodies, rising to falsetto crescendos with inflections sometimes bearing a hint of The Killers' Brandon Flowers.
The bouncing synth tunes and staccato drumming of A Piece of String stood at one end of the band's spectrum while at the other end the melancholy Alouette was an intriguing and unlikely example of how weirdly inverted clean guitar notes can be rearranged to form the backdrop for a forlorn love song.
You may also want to watch:
A great act, and one to keep an eye on for the future.
Clock Opera, Dingwalls, Camden Lock, May 2.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 6 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 7 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 8 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 9 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 10 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs