REVIEW: Clock Opera, Dingwalls, Camden Lock, May 2.
WITH their sonic landscapes and trippy samples Clock Opera gave a mesmerising lesson in the art of how to dice up morsels of noise and serve them up to the audience as a mouth watering feast of sound. This electro-guitar outfit is led by Guy Connelly and
WITH their sonic landscapes and trippy samples Clock Opera gave a mesmerising lesson in the art of how to dice up morsels of noise and serve them up to the audience as a mouth watering feast of sound.
This electro-guitar outfit is led by Guy Connelly and with his overtly bushy beard and intensely focused delivery he makes an arresting performer. While the venue largely resounded with the squelchy and shard-like noises of synthesizers, the band brought little patches of simplicity to the show - at one stage hammering on miscellaneous household objects to create a tinny percussive effect.
Over the top of brilliantly sequenced guitar samples Connelly sang soft but direct folky melodies, rising to falsetto crescendos with inflections sometimes bearing a hint of The Killers' Brandon Flowers.
The bouncing synth tunes and staccato drumming of A Piece of String stood at one end of the band's spectrum while at the other end the melancholy Alouette was an intriguing and unlikely example of how weirdly inverted clean guitar notes can be rearranged to form the backdrop for a forlorn love song.
You may also want to watch:
A great act, and one to keep an eye on for the future.
Clock Opera, Dingwalls, Camden Lock, May 2.
- 1 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 4 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 5 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 6 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 9 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 10 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours