RADA actor and Highgate boy Charlie lands lead role, three weeks after graduating
Charlie Archer is set to play Calisto in Tony Kushner’s The Illusion
Newly graduated Golders Green actor Charlie Archer is preparing to take his first lead role at the tender age of 21.
Archer, who was a UCS student before attending RADA, graduated three weeks ago and has landed the lead Calisto in Tony Kushner’s adaptaion of Pierre Corneille’s 1636 comedy The Illusion at Southwark Playhouse.
He has worked on productions with the National Youth Theatre but this is his first paid acting job.
“Theatre is where I want to be – there is something about having an audience there, they constantly shape the performance with the way they negotiate the piece in a different way every time. I like that instant reaction,” he says.
You may also want to watch:
Archer has been preparing by reading the script and researching the era. “It seems like it was a time of high intensity, a very emotional time, where people felt things very strongly.
“I’m so happy to be working among actors I really respect. The guy who plays my dad in the show has just finished as Claudius in Michael Sheen’s Hamlet. It is incredible to be around such talented people.”
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 8 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
The Illusion is at Southwark Playhouse from August 22 until September 8 at 7.45pm. Matinees on August 25 and September 1 and 8 at 3.15pm.