RADA actor and Highgate boy Charlie lands lead role, three weeks after graduating
Charlie Archer is set to play Calisto in Tony Kushner’s The Illusion
Newly graduated Golders Green actor Charlie Archer is preparing to take his first lead role at the tender age of 21.
Archer, who was a UCS student before attending RADA, graduated three weeks ago and has landed the lead Calisto in Tony Kushner’s adaptaion of Pierre Corneille’s 1636 comedy The Illusion at Southwark Playhouse.
He has worked on productions with the National Youth Theatre but this is his first paid acting job.
“Theatre is where I want to be – there is something about having an audience there, they constantly shape the performance with the way they negotiate the piece in a different way every time. I like that instant reaction,” he says.
You may also want to watch:
Archer has been preparing by reading the script and researching the era. “It seems like it was a time of high intensity, a very emotional time, where people felt things very strongly.
“I’m so happy to be working among actors I really respect. The guy who plays my dad in the show has just finished as Claudius in Michael Sheen’s Hamlet. It is incredible to be around such talented people.”
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 4 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 5 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 9 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
The Illusion is at Southwark Playhouse from August 22 until September 8 at 7.45pm. Matinees on August 25 and September 1 and 8 at 3.15pm.