RADA actor and Highgate boy Charlie lands lead role, three weeks after graduating
Charlie Archer is set to play Calisto in Tony Kushner’s The Illusion
Newly graduated Golders Green actor Charlie Archer is preparing to take his first lead role at the tender age of 21.
Archer, who was a UCS student before attending RADA, graduated three weeks ago and has landed the lead Calisto in Tony Kushner’s adaptaion of Pierre Corneille’s 1636 comedy The Illusion at Southwark Playhouse.
He has worked on productions with the National Youth Theatre but this is his first paid acting job.
“Theatre is where I want to be – there is something about having an audience there, they constantly shape the performance with the way they negotiate the piece in a different way every time. I like that instant reaction,” he says.
Archer has been preparing by reading the script and researching the era. “It seems like it was a time of high intensity, a very emotional time, where people felt things very strongly.
“I’m so happy to be working among actors I really respect. The guy who plays my dad in the show has just finished as Claudius in Michael Sheen’s Hamlet. It is incredible to be around such talented people.”
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 3 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 4 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 5 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 6 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 7 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 8 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 9 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 10 Disabled swimmer loses court battle over Heath swimming prices
The Illusion is at Southwark Playhouse from August 22 until September 8 at 7.45pm. Matinees on August 25 and September 1 and 8 at 3.15pm.