Percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie to put on ‘mind-enhancing’ concert
- Credit: Archant
Music for violin and vibraphone isn’t exactly standard repertory.
So when the world’s best-known percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie met the young, dynamic violinist Hugo Ticciati at a workshop in Sweden, there was nothing obvious for them to play together, even though they felt a strong professional rapport.
The only solution was to commission something.
And the result gets its first UK performance this month at Kings Place – given by Glennie and Ticciati with the Swedish cutting-edge contemporary ensemble O/Modernt.
Written by jazz-pianist/composer Jill Jarman, it’s called “Mindstream:” a title that relates to Buddhist practices of living in the moment, in a constantly evolving state of being.
You may also want to watch:
As Ticciati explains, “the work combines the extemporary feeling of improvising with funky, driving rhythmic sections. At some points it floats in a timeless vacuum of sound. At others, it’s driven by the inner motor of change”.
Programmed with other mind-enhancing new works and – perhaps oddly – Tchaikovsky’s String Serenade in C (which may just enhance your mind as well: who knows?), it plays Wed 27, 8pm. Details: kingsplace.co.uk
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 5 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives