Percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie to put on ‘mind-enhancing’ concert
- Credit: Archant
Music for violin and vibraphone isn’t exactly standard repertory.
So when the world’s best-known percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie met the young, dynamic violinist Hugo Ticciati at a workshop in Sweden, there was nothing obvious for them to play together, even though they felt a strong professional rapport.
The only solution was to commission something.
And the result gets its first UK performance this month at Kings Place – given by Glennie and Ticciati with the Swedish cutting-edge contemporary ensemble O/Modernt.
Written by jazz-pianist/composer Jill Jarman, it’s called “Mindstream:” a title that relates to Buddhist practices of living in the moment, in a constantly evolving state of being.
You may also want to watch:
As Ticciati explains, “the work combines the extemporary feeling of improvising with funky, driving rhythmic sections. At some points it floats in a timeless vacuum of sound. At others, it’s driven by the inner motor of change”.
Programmed with other mind-enhancing new works and – perhaps oddly – Tchaikovsky’s String Serenade in C (which may just enhance your mind as well: who knows?), it plays Wed 27, 8pm. Details: kingsplace.co.uk
- 1 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council