Percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie to put on ‘mind-enhancing’ concert
- Credit: Archant
Music for violin and vibraphone isn’t exactly standard repertory.
So when the world’s best-known percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie met the young, dynamic violinist Hugo Ticciati at a workshop in Sweden, there was nothing obvious for them to play together, even though they felt a strong professional rapport.
The only solution was to commission something.
And the result gets its first UK performance this month at Kings Place – given by Glennie and Ticciati with the Swedish cutting-edge contemporary ensemble O/Modernt.
Written by jazz-pianist/composer Jill Jarman, it’s called “Mindstream:” a title that relates to Buddhist practices of living in the moment, in a constantly evolving state of being.
You may also want to watch:
As Ticciati explains, “the work combines the extemporary feeling of improvising with funky, driving rhythmic sections. At some points it floats in a timeless vacuum of sound. At others, it’s driven by the inner motor of change”.
Programmed with other mind-enhancing new works and – perhaps oddly – Tchaikovsky’s String Serenade in C (which may just enhance your mind as well: who knows?), it plays Wed 27, 8pm. Details: kingsplace.co.uk
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 6 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 10 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town