Big Up the Arts: Gospel Oak community cafe hosts creative festival
- Credit: Oliver Holms
A Gospel Oak community cafe is hosting an arts festival showcasing up-and-coming artists and performers.
Mother Canteen has programmed Big Up the Arts Festival as part of Camden Together 2021 to bring "new creative experiences" to the local community.
The festival includes children's crafting sessions, slam poetry and a cream tea for over 65s.
Cafe founder Chris Ilankovan said the pandemic has hit the arts industry "really hard".
Chris said: "Both those working as artists and performers as well as the local communities that nurtured them, with growing boredom and loneliness.
"We are all starving for joy and fun and connection.
"What better way than through food and the arts?"
The organisers said the events are being staged in Mother’s courtyard, otherwise known as its urban amphitheatre, to make them as Covid-safe as possible.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 7 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 10 Aldi tight-lipped about potential Finchley Road store at O2 Centre site
Big Up the Arts Festival is running from August 14 to the October 30. Events include a carnival at Mother on Saturday (August 28) and a Pride event on September 11).
Full details of events can be found at www.mothercanteen.com/events