Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park
- Credit: Archant
The Twelfth annual festive attraction brings skating, ice sculptures and rollercoasters to the Royal Park
The twelfth edition of Winter Wonderland got underway in Hyde Park this week with returning attractions, and some new ones to try.
Old favourites including Zippos Circus and Cirque Berserk, with it’s breathtaking Globe of Death motorcycle act, are back on site, as is the capital’s biggest outdoor ice rink.
But new this year is Backyard Cinema’s The Snowman Experience which marks the 40th anniversary of Raymond Brigg’s classic with an interactive wander through replica sets from the animation.
And the Winter Wonderland comedy club sees emerging stand ups performing 45 minute sets while Peter Pan on ice reimagines JM Barrie’s classic tale as a spectacular show with skating and flying performers.
Wander the Christmas markets and stop off in the winter-themed bars and restaurants; you can sip chilled Vodka in the Ice Bar, warm up with a Gluhwein in an Alpine chalet - or like us, enjoy hot chocolate and cider around the fire in Thor’s Tipi.
The 100 rides and attractions range from white knuckle coasters to traditional Dodgems and Helter Skelter and everything in between.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 4 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 5 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 6 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 7 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 8 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 9 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 10 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
The Big Wheel transported us high above the Royal Park to look down on the lightshow below, while being entertained by the Google Assistant in our pod who taught us a few winter facts.
Our annual favourite is always the ever inventive Magical Ice Kingdom, this year’s “Secret Forest” theme creates a sub zero trail past unicorns, bears, centaurs and snow queens - make sure to wrap up warm for your centaur selfie - The skilled craftsfolk who fashion this world out of snow and ice certainly deserve a warming drink at the end of it.
Winter Wonderland runs until January 6. Book attractions in advance via hydeparkwinterwonderland.com