Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park
- Credit: Archant
The Twelfth annual festive attraction brings skating, ice sculptures and rollercoasters to the Royal Park
The twelfth edition of Winter Wonderland got underway in Hyde Park this week with returning attractions, and some new ones to try.
Old favourites including Zippos Circus and Cirque Berserk, with it’s breathtaking Globe of Death motorcycle act, are back on site, as is the capital’s biggest outdoor ice rink.
But new this year is Backyard Cinema’s The Snowman Experience which marks the 40th anniversary of Raymond Brigg’s classic with an interactive wander through replica sets from the animation.
And the Winter Wonderland comedy club sees emerging stand ups performing 45 minute sets while Peter Pan on ice reimagines JM Barrie’s classic tale as a spectacular show with skating and flying performers.
You may also want to watch:
Wander the Christmas markets and stop off in the winter-themed bars and restaurants; you can sip chilled Vodka in the Ice Bar, warm up with a Gluhwein in an Alpine chalet - or like us, enjoy hot chocolate and cider around the fire in Thor’s Tipi.
The 100 rides and attractions range from white knuckle coasters to traditional Dodgems and Helter Skelter and everything in between.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 Royal Free and Whittington under pressure amid London 'major incident'
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
The Big Wheel transported us high above the Royal Park to look down on the lightshow below, while being entertained by the Google Assistant in our pod who taught us a few winter facts.
Our annual favourite is always the ever inventive Magical Ice Kingdom, this year’s “Secret Forest” theme creates a sub zero trail past unicorns, bears, centaurs and snow queens - make sure to wrap up warm for your centaur selfie - The skilled craftsfolk who fashion this world out of snow and ice certainly deserve a warming drink at the end of it.
Winter Wonderland runs until January 6. Book attractions in advance via hydeparkwinterwonderland.com