Highgate Choral Society concert
- Credit: Archant
There’s a Spanish flavour to the latest concert this Saturday when counter tenor Magid El-Bushra performs with the choir.
There's a distinctly Spanish flavour to the latest Highgate Choral Society concert this Saturday when counter tenor Magid El-Bushra performs with the group.
The choir have just returned from an Andalusian excursion to Seville and Cordoba, and will be singing both Elgar's Sea Pictures and Missa Andalucia; a new work composed by their conductor Ronald Corp OBE.
This new HCS commission, which borrows themes from works by 16th century composers Morales, Cuerrero and Lobo - all born in Seville - was first heard in Cordoba's Cathedral Mosque followed by two churches in Seville earlier this month.
The Spanish theme continues with two outstanding sacred motets for choir and organ - O Vos Omnes by the 20th century Spanish cellist and composer Pablo Casals, and Ecce Sacerdos by the 16th century Spanish composer Victoria.
You may also want to watch:
Born in Khartoum, El-Bushra will sing a range of work at St Michael's Church in Highgate including Spanish lute songs and pieces by Granada and Falla.
Elgar's sea pictures is a song cycle that sets five poems about the sea to music, including one by the composer's wife Alice.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
The concert conducted by Ronald Corp starts at 7pm.
For further details go to hcschoir.com