Highgate Choral Society concert
- Credit: Archant
There’s a Spanish flavour to the latest concert this Saturday when counter tenor Magid El-Bushra performs with the choir.
There's a distinctly Spanish flavour to the latest Highgate Choral Society concert this Saturday when counter tenor Magid El-Bushra performs with the group.
The choir have just returned from an Andalusian excursion to Seville and Cordoba, and will be singing both Elgar's Sea Pictures and Missa Andalucia; a new work composed by their conductor Ronald Corp OBE.
This new HCS commission, which borrows themes from works by 16th century composers Morales, Cuerrero and Lobo - all born in Seville - was first heard in Cordoba's Cathedral Mosque followed by two churches in Seville earlier this month.
The Spanish theme continues with two outstanding sacred motets for choir and organ - O Vos Omnes by the 20th century Spanish cellist and composer Pablo Casals, and Ecce Sacerdos by the 16th century Spanish composer Victoria.
You may also want to watch:
Born in Khartoum, El-Bushra will sing a range of work at St Michael's Church in Highgate including Spanish lute songs and pieces by Granada and Falla.
Elgar's sea pictures is a song cycle that sets five poems about the sea to music, including one by the composer's wife Alice.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 9 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 10 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
The concert conducted by Ronald Corp starts at 7pm.
For further details go to hcschoir.com