Hampstead design icon Kenneth Grange contributes to new Design Museum foundations
A time capsule buried today includes a good bottle of burgundy and a tin of anchovies, as well as a contribution from the iconic designer
Hampstead design icon Kenneth Grange has contributed to a design time capsule laid in the foundations of the new Design Museum.
Grange, who recently had a retrospective at the museum’s old site, chose to include a Cylinder Line Coffee Pot designed by Arne Jacobsen in the capsule, which was buried at the foundations of the new building at the former Commonwealth Institute on Kensington High Street.
Other objects included for the capsule, to be opened in 2112 were: an iPhone 4S, a tin of Anchovies and good bottle of 2012 Burgundy donated by museum founder Sir Terence Conran; a lightbulb, chosen by Thomas Heatherwick and Ingo Maurer and some tube maps re-designed by artists, which were included by the Mayor of London.
The New Design Museum is set to open in 2015 and is designed by John Pawson.
You may also want to watch:
Full Time Capsule contents:
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
European Union Flag
One Euro Coin
USB containing images of jazz and blues music album covers, including John Coltrane and Bing Crosby
Sir Paul Smith
Isle of Man, London 2012 Olympic Games Stamps designed by Paul Smith
Sir Terence Conran
Tin of Anchovies
A good bottle of 2012 Burgundy
London 2012 Olympic Torch designed by BarberOsgerby
Badoiiing game, 2012 winner of the museum’s Design Ventura competition for 13-16 year-old D&T students
Image of Battersea Power Station
Model of the MAXXI museum in Rome
Book by Patrik Schumacher, The Autopoiesis of Architecture, Vol.1: A New Framework for Architecture
1949 Wish Bone Chair (miniature model) for Hans J. Wegner for Carl Hansen and Son
Cylinder Line Coffee Pot designed by Arne Jacobsen
Mini Lockheed Lounge
Standard light bulb
The Mayor for London
Artists Tube Maps