Freud’s granddaughter explores his artistic side
Hard as it may be to imagine the world today without the contribution made by Sigmund Freud, that is just what his great-granddaughter Jane McAdam Freud has done in her exhibition Atonement at the London Centre for Psychotherapy in Kentish Town. She explo
Hard as it may be to imagine the world today without the contribution made by Sigmund Freud, that is just what his great-granddaughter Jane McAdam Freud has done in her exhibition Atonement at the London Centre for Psychotherapy in Kentish Town.
She explores through sculpture and prints a fantasy scenario of Freud's "alternative" life - what might have been had he become a sculptor rather than a scientist.
McAdam Freud says that Atonement is informed by her exhibition Relative Relations at the Freud Museum in Hampstead in 2006. There, ancient and modern objects were displayed side by side, setting up subtle resonances.
It resulted from her residency at the museum, when she began to look for the sculptor within Freud by trying to view through his eyes the ancient sculptures he collected.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday, there's a private view of Atonement open to all. It begins with an illuminated presentation by the artist and a discussion, followed by a workshop on creating a paper sculpture based on her sculpture Family Ties. Prints will be available on the day and sculptures to order.
The exhibition runs until March 26 at 32 Leighton Road, Kentish Town. Open weekdays 10am to 5pm by appointment on 020-7482 2002. The private view is on February 21 from 2.30pm to 6.30pm.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 9 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 10 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day