Hard work pays off for Lounge Cafe with Time Out Award success
- Credit: Archant
This small community cafe with a big heart has been winning over Kilburn and West Hampstead residents for two and a half years, says Bridget Galton.
Hard-working duo Maria Kuehn and Zina Manda have won a coveted Time Out award for the best cafe in Kilburn and West Hampstead.
Their Lounge Cafe in the Kingsgate Community Centre serves both grateful artists from the Kingsgate Studios opposite and users of the centre run by Brent Council, some of whom volunteer to help with the enterprise.
And with many of their clients on low incomes there’s a limit to what they can charge which has meant being inventive and clever with flavours - expect coffees for under £2 sandwiches from £2 and breakfasts from £2.75. At £5.50 my indulgent breakfast was one of the pricer items but the pair of perfectly poached eggs on bacon rashers atop Indian potato cakes with a zesty coriander onion and cucumber.
“We’ve been here two and a half years and know everyone by name,” says Kuehn who is also a food blogger (mindingbellieswell.blogspot.com)
You may also want to watch:
The artists from Kingsgate Studios give us handmade pots and mugs as a thank-you.”
With a daily soup and a special such as lamb and pistachio patties with lentils, and homemade cakes, Zina’s flourless chocolate is a local legend - she adds “We try not to have waste, we can’t afford to throw things away. It’s a labour of love but I am Polish so compelled to feed people whether they are hungry or not.”
- 1 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 2 Camden Town Brewery's new Bavarian Beer Hall opens in Kentish Town
- 3 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 4 What Paulo Fonseca means for Tottenham Hotspur?
- 5 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside of Hornsey block
- 6 Quality Indian take-away fresh from Crouch End's 'Bazaar'
- 7 New headteachers at Harris Academy St John's Wood and Camden School for Girls
- 8 Home of the Week: Four bedroom maisonette with period features for sale in Belsize Park
- 9 81-year-old paints her way to fourth book since lockdown
- 10 Former England star Nick Compton visits North London Cricket Club