Hard work pays off for Lounge Cafe with Time Out Award success
- Credit: Archant
This small community cafe with a big heart has been winning over Kilburn and West Hampstead residents for two and a half years, says Bridget Galton.
Hard-working duo Maria Kuehn and Zina Manda have won a coveted Time Out award for the best cafe in Kilburn and West Hampstead.
Their Lounge Cafe in the Kingsgate Community Centre serves both grateful artists from the Kingsgate Studios opposite and users of the centre run by Brent Council, some of whom volunteer to help with the enterprise.
And with many of their clients on low incomes there’s a limit to what they can charge which has meant being inventive and clever with flavours - expect coffees for under £2 sandwiches from £2 and breakfasts from £2.75. At £5.50 my indulgent breakfast was one of the pricer items but the pair of perfectly poached eggs on bacon rashers atop Indian potato cakes with a zesty coriander onion and cucumber.
“We’ve been here two and a half years and know everyone by name,” says Kuehn who is also a food blogger (mindingbellieswell.blogspot.com)
You may also want to watch:
The artists from Kingsgate Studios give us handmade pots and mugs as a thank-you.”
With a daily soup and a special such as lamb and pistachio patties with lentils, and homemade cakes, Zina’s flourless chocolate is a local legend - she adds “We try not to have waste, we can’t afford to throw things away. It’s a labour of love but I am Polish so compelled to feed people whether they are hungry or not.”
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'