Ex-ITV news anchor John Suchet to give lecture on Strauss dynasty at JW3
- Credit: Archant
Contrary to popular belief, some of the presenters on Classic FM do actually know what they’re talking about; and one is the former ITV news anchor John Suchet, whose commitment to Beethoven runs so deep he’s written several books on the composer.
But he has another interest: the dynasty of Johann Strauss, father and son (and brothers too).
Between them, they ruled over Viennese dance music throughout the middle/later 19th century and on into the 20th.
And they’re the subject of a lecture Suchet gives this month at JW3, in Finchley Rd.
That the Strausses were of Jewish ancestry was inconvenient to the Nazis who enjoyed their music and accordingly disguised their family tree. But truth will out. And Suchet will presumably go into that and other buried facts.
An opportunity, for those of us who get confused, to figure out which Strauss composed which waltzes.
You may also want to watch:
Suchet on the Strausses: Sun May 22, 3.30pm, JW3.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour