Hampstead gallery reopens with stunning landscapes
- Credit: Catto Gallery/Simon Garden
Hampstead's Catto Gallery reopens its doors after lockdown on Monday (April 12) with an uplifting solo show by artist Simon Garden.
Garden's beautiful dreamlike landscapes and humorous figures have both an atmosphere of mystery and an enchanting playfulness.
The artist, who has exhibited often at the Royal Academy, layers on his paint so the texture becomes part of the composition.
He achieves his subtle, vibrant colours by making his own paint - from a blend of oil, salt, sand and hot water, emulsified, boiled and mixed with dried or liquid pigments.
"Any poetry in these images is about the abstract, the shape and the hue," he says.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Garden's exhibition runs at Catto Gallery, 100 Heath Street, Hampstead until April 28.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 7 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'