Giant tortoises slowly move into new home at London Zoo
- Credit: ZSL London Zoo
A trio of giant tortoises trekked across London Zoo - at the speed of 0.1 miles per hour - to reach their new home.
Polly, Dolly and Priscilla made the epic 200 metre journey at the Regent's Park attraction ahead of the opening of the new Giants of the Galápagos exhibit on October 9.
Each were guided on the adventure by a dedicated keeper sporting their tortoise team mate's name on a t-shirt with the help of brightly coloured cones as markers.
Dolly took the lead but after a few breaks for watermelon, cucumber and carrot snacks she was overtaken by her 26-year-old sisters and reached her destination in a respectable time of 1 hour 21 minutes.
It was Polly who was the first to enter their new enclosure in a record breaking time of 1hour 9 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Chris Michaels, head of herpetology at ZSL London Zoo, said: “As it is a relatively short distance between their old and new homes, we decided to forego moving vans and gave Dolly, Polly and Priscilla the option to walk there – with specially designed travel crates as back up if anyone changed their mind. We made sure to have plenty of snacks handy as extra encouragement, but after clearing an access from their old outdoor paddock onto a Zoo path, it was full steam ahead for the three females."
They have a few weeks to settle into their new island home, which boasts a choice of lagoon pools to cool off in, a muddy wallow and a tropical forest, before it opens to the public next month.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Hampstead's Burgh House Cafe wins readers' poll
Chris added: “We’re looking forward to welcoming visitors to our new Giants of the Galápagos exhibit – there's so much to learn about the wildlife on these incredible islands.”
The exhibit is included in entry to the Zoo. Book now at https://www.zsl.org/