Film shows circus artists from Norwich to Berlin balance on bridges and swing from walls
- Credit: Archant
Closer is co-produced by Highgate contemporary circus venue Jacksons Lane and explores intimacy and community at a time of solitude and distancing
Seven circus artists balance on bridges, sculptures, swings and a Berlin wall in the 10 minute film Closer.
The collaboration between three international circus companies was shot entirely outside in Berlin, Helsinki and Norwich and released by Highgate contemporary circus venue Jacksons Lane on its YouTube channel.
Lost in Translation Circus, Agit-Cirk and Still Hungry were trying new methods of working during lockdown, while touring and performing were banned.
Through aerial, rope, straps and hand to hand acrobatics, they explore how intimacy and touch have drastically altered at a time of distancing and search for community in a time of solitude.
You may also want to watch:
Produced in collaboration with Jackson’s Lane’s artistic director Adrian Berry, the project is part of its digital programme during closure.
He said: “We began this pretty much at the start of lockdown and it was the first creative ‘live’ initiative we produced. It was thrilling to work with three of my favourite circus companies. I found the whole project profoundly moving and it really helped the artists get back in their feet during an incredibly difficult time.”
Jacksons Lane remains closed until next year while it undergoes a multi-million pound refurbishment to improve the foyer, rehearsal spaces and disabled access. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4uy1s8MnQ
- 1 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 8 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 9 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat