Film shows circus artists from Norwich to Berlin balance on bridges and swing from walls
- Credit: Archant
Closer is co-produced by Highgate contemporary circus venue Jacksons Lane and explores intimacy and community at a time of solitude and distancing
Seven circus artists balance on bridges, sculptures, swings and a Berlin wall in the 10 minute film Closer.
The collaboration between three international circus companies was shot entirely outside in Berlin, Helsinki and Norwich and released by Highgate contemporary circus venue Jacksons Lane on its YouTube channel.
Lost in Translation Circus, Agit-Cirk and Still Hungry were trying new methods of working during lockdown, while touring and performing were banned.
Through aerial, rope, straps and hand to hand acrobatics, they explore how intimacy and touch have drastically altered at a time of distancing and search for community in a time of solitude.
You may also want to watch:
Produced in collaboration with Jackson’s Lane’s artistic director Adrian Berry, the project is part of its digital programme during closure.
He said: “We began this pretty much at the start of lockdown and it was the first creative ‘live’ initiative we produced. It was thrilling to work with three of my favourite circus companies. I found the whole project profoundly moving and it really helped the artists get back in their feet during an incredibly difficult time.”
Jacksons Lane remains closed until next year while it undergoes a multi-million pound refurbishment to improve the foyer, rehearsal spaces and disabled access. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4uy1s8MnQ
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers