Jazz Cafe reopens with Afrobeat star Dele Sosimi
- Credit: Archant
The Camden Town music venue comes back to life after five months closure with fully seated socially distanced gigs that mirror the original layout of 30 years ago
The legendary Jazz Cafe reopens after a five month hiatus with a gig by Hackney Afrobeat veteran Dele Sosimi.
Capacity at the well-loved Camden Town venue will be down to 151 when the doors reopen on September 19, with new measures in place for fully seated socially distanced gigs.
Managers point out that the seated layout with restaurant and bar mirrors the original Jazz Cafe of 30 years ago. The venue was badly hit during lockdown with a monthly bill of £31,000 for rent and running costs despite no income.
Head booker Ruari Frew said: “We’re still a long way off where we need to be, and it will be very difficult to operate financially but we owe it to all the people who make the live industry tick to give this a go. Our world is largely made up of freelancers, many of whom fell through the gaps of any government support. It’s crucial that we get as many people as possible working again in a safe environment. Although it’s not sustainable in the long term, for now it’s exciting to have musicians on stage in front of an audience.”
You may also want to watch:
Operating seven days a week with double shows at weekends, highlights include Sosimi’s album launch Light of The World, the vocal talent of Etta Bond, promising new talents Lola Young and a special fundraiser for Beirut on September 24.
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 5 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United