Curzon X screenings at Camden Market include early films by Boon Joon ho
- Credit: Archant
The Oscar-winning Korean director’s early films have the same dark comic social commentary as Parasite and can be streamed at home or seen live in Camden Market
During the dark days of lockdown, independent film distributor Curzon Artificial Eye basically survived because of the revenue boost generated by Parasite’s unprecedented success.
To capitalise on this they are now re-releasing Oscar-winning director Bong Joon ho’s first two films.
His debut, Barking Dogs Never Bite, is similar to the black comic social commentary of Parasite. Set in a high rise apartment block, a would-be lecturer plans extreme measures to deal with the irritating barking of a neighbour’s dog.
Funny, dark, original and inventive, it’s a formidable first step.
You may also want to watch:
A fictionalised version of the police investigation into a rural serial killer in the 80s, perhaps the Korean equivalent of The Yorkshire Ripper, Memories of Murder was his first international hit and began his partnership with actor Kang Ho Song.
He plays the bumbling local plod teamed with slick Seoul officer Kim Sang kyung.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 4 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 7 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 8 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
The film presents the investigation as a chaotic helter-skelter of missed opportunities and macho blustering.
As well as streaming on Curzon Home Cinema they are part of the open-air cinema event Curzon X at Camden Market’s North Yard from September 16-30.
Memories is on Friday 18th, Sleeping Dogs Saturday 19th. Summer of 85, Little Girl and Being a Human are also on the bill.