Art: Paintings of south coast wanderings wash up in Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
The OED definition of beached is: “stranded, grounded, high and dry abandoned, deserted, marooned”.
This, says artist Pam Walker “can be likened to the creative process which can start with a sense of dislocation and abandonment. I have attempted to explore this in my work over the last 18 months”.
Collages and oils inspired by her wanderings along the beaches of the south coast including Dungeness in Kent are on display at the Peggy Jay Gallery at Burgh House, Hampstead until May 2.
Beached continues Walker’s fascination with lost landscapes, wastelands and desolate places “fleetingly remembered and glimpsed out of the corner of my eye”. With a studio at Arlington House, Camden Town, many of her work has responded more to the urban landscape, specifically areas under reconstruction such as Willesden Junction, King’s Cross and in her last exhibition Higher Faster Stronger, the 2012 London Olympic Site.
“My subject matter usually emerges in the process of making the work...it reveals itself during the process and is always transformed from my original intention. There is a magical stage when the work ‘paints itself’.”
Trained at St Martins in the 1980s Walker has had five solo exhibitions and work shown in the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition and the Mall Galleries.
You may also want to watch:
She runs regular collage workshops using materials including text, photos, postcards, and fabrics exploring methods of constructing images with the emphasis on playfulness and experimentation rather than formal teaching.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'