Art Exhibition: Andrew Marr and Adrian Hemming, Thrown Contemporary
- Credit: Archant
The Primrose Hill broadcaster and his friend and mentor stage a joint exhibition in Highgate
Highgate art gallery Thrown Contemporary kicks off its exhibition programme for 2019 with a joint show by Primrose Hill broadcaster Andrew Marr and his mentor - acclaimed artist Adrian Hemming.
The BBC presenter had been an occasional painter of “quietly representational landscapes, still lives and people I know” until a serious stroke in 2013 led him to focus on art as a method of rehabilitation.
That in turn led to a change in style from realism to creating work that was more abstract.
It was at this point that Marr met Hemming through a chance encounter, followed by a studio visit. Their mutual love of painting over many hours discussing art, forged a friendship that Marr has described as “both wonderful luck and a lifeline”.
You may also want to watch:
Hemming had already exhibited internationally and sold work to public and private collections, so when galleries began to hear about the pairing, Hemming and Marr were invited to exhibit together.
The Highgate exhiition is their third joint show and showcases new new work by both artists.
- 1 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 2 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 3 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 4 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 5 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 6 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 10 London Marathon and charity event in aid of Diabetes UK
Adrian Hemming & Andrew Marr, Fragments & Drawings runs at Thrown in Highgate High Street from February 1-24.
The gallery, which opened in March 2018 as a platform for contemporary art, will also host one of its popular supper clubs on Feburary 21 attended by both artists. Further details at throwncontemporary.co.uk.