Get lost in Vegas
- Credit: Archant
North London artist Emma Loizides shows her oils depicting ‘Americana’ at Lauderdale House
A colourful exhibition inspired by America's magnificent beaches, dazzling skylines and evocative street scenes is running at Lauderdale House.
Emma Loizides is a self taught artist who paints mostly in oils and combines elements of pop art and bright cityscapes or landscapes.
Americana is inspired by the former banker's travels to New York, Miami, Las Vegas and California.
After Studying Spanish at university, she spent years working in the finance industry, but began painting again after being inpsired by the architecture and skyline of Canary Wharf.
You may also want to watch:
2013 saw her first London solo show and she has gone on to exhibit in a Society of Women Artists group show, the ING discerning eye exhibition at Mall Galleries, and the NOA at the Royal College of Arts.
She takes inspiration from artists such as Jasper Johns, Peter Blake and Wassily Kandinsky; "for his theories on the effects that art has on the emotions."
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 3 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 5 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 6 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins reader's favourite restaurant
Her subjects in Americana include sandy beaches, retro ice cream vans, and tropical palm trees.
"I take out the people and cars, as I like the quiet of early morning and beauty of the empty streets and architecture," she says.
"I've experimented with new ideas, mediums and techniques including gilding, collage, fine layers of resin, and big blobs of colours to fine mists of luminous spray. I hope they are refreshing happy paintings that uplift the audience."
Americana runs until July 22 at Lauderdale House in Highgate.