Zubair Khan pleased with another successful London Open Squash Championships
- Credit: Archant
Declan James scooped the men’s crown while Amanda Landers-Murphy was the winner in the women’s competition at Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club
Tournament director Zubair Khan hailed The London Open Squash 2017 Championships a great success after it ended on Sunday.
The event, which took place at Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club on Alvanley Gardens, started on November 28 and concluded on December 3.
World number 40 Declan James, who was the number two seed, saw off top seed Tom Richards (world number 35) in the men’s final on Sunday.
In the women’s event, number one seed Emily Whitlock, 12 in the world, unfortunately had to pull out of the final due to injury, so New Zealander Amanda Landers-Murphy took the crown in West Hampstead.
Khan, a former world number eight in the sport, said: “It’s been a great week with brilliant matches and it was a successful tournament.
“We had great support from the crowd and as tournament director, I would like to thank the spectators and all of my sponsors like Aspect Capital and many others. Hopefully 2018 will be even bigger.”
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 5 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 9 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 10 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire
As well as Aspect Capital, Afghan Connection, Heathcote & Ivory and Hellman & Friedman LC helped support the annual event.
One-time world number two Hiddy Jahan was a special guest at the tournament while Aspect Capital CEO Anthony Todd again offered his support.