Youth Games: Haringey book basketball finals spots
- Credit: Archant
Boys and girls seal trips to Crystal Palace
Haringey’s boys booked their place at the London Youth Games basketball finals with an impressive display at the qualifying event.
Last year’s silver medallists were the highest scorers in the group phase, having eased past Ealing (34-14) and also beaten Lewisham (25-21) and Barnet (23-18).
That set up a quarter-final meeting with 2016 finalists Havering, with Haringey maintaining their excellent shooting form to claim a 27-20 win which sets up a semi-final date with Croydon at Crystal Palace next month.
The Haringey girls are also in the hunt for medals after qualifying from their own competition.
They were edged out 21-16 by Richmond in their first group match, but romped past Harrow by a whopping 55-3 margin and also put Greenwich to the sword in a 42-2 win, while earning a walkover against Havering who withdrew.
That left Haringey in second place in the group, but they bounced back to beat Lambeth (20-2) in the quarter-finals and will face Richmond again in the semi-finals.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 3 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 5 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 6 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 7 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after blaze destroys Abbey Road flat
- 9 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 10 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
Coach Dan Bowmaker said: “I’m really pleased. We started with a tough game in our pool and began with a loss but we pulled through and we’re pleased to beat Lambeth who are a good side.”