Youth Games: Haringey book basketball finals spots
- Credit: Archant
Boys and girls seal trips to Crystal Palace
Haringey’s boys booked their place at the London Youth Games basketball finals with an impressive display at the qualifying event.
Last year’s silver medallists were the highest scorers in the group phase, having eased past Ealing (34-14) and also beaten Lewisham (25-21) and Barnet (23-18).
That set up a quarter-final meeting with 2016 finalists Havering, with Haringey maintaining their excellent shooting form to claim a 27-20 win which sets up a semi-final date with Croydon at Crystal Palace next month.
The Haringey girls are also in the hunt for medals after qualifying from their own competition.
You may also want to watch:
They were edged out 21-16 by Richmond in their first group match, but romped past Harrow by a whopping 55-3 margin and also put Greenwich to the sword in a 42-2 win, while earning a walkover against Havering who withdrew.
That left Haringey in second place in the group, but they bounced back to beat Lambeth (20-2) in the quarter-finals and will face Richmond again in the semi-finals.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
Coach Dan Bowmaker said: “I’m really pleased. We started with a tough game in our pool and began with a loss but we pulled through and we’re pleased to beat Lambeth who are a good side.”