Youth Games: Haringey book basketball finals spots
- Credit: Archant
Boys and girls seal trips to Crystal Palace
Haringey’s boys booked their place at the London Youth Games basketball finals with an impressive display at the qualifying event.
Last year’s silver medallists were the highest scorers in the group phase, having eased past Ealing (34-14) and also beaten Lewisham (25-21) and Barnet (23-18).
That set up a quarter-final meeting with 2016 finalists Havering, with Haringey maintaining their excellent shooting form to claim a 27-20 win which sets up a semi-final date with Croydon at Crystal Palace next month.
The Haringey girls are also in the hunt for medals after qualifying from their own competition.
You may also want to watch:
They were edged out 21-16 by Richmond in their first group match, but romped past Harrow by a whopping 55-3 margin and also put Greenwich to the sword in a 42-2 win, while earning a walkover against Havering who withdrew.
That left Haringey in second place in the group, but they bounced back to beat Lambeth (20-2) in the quarter-finals and will face Richmond again in the semi-finals.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
Coach Dan Bowmaker said: “I’m really pleased. We started with a tough game in our pool and began with a loss but we pulled through and we’re pleased to beat Lambeth who are a good side.”