Youth Games: Haringey book basketball finals spots
- Credit: Archant
Boys and girls seal trips to Crystal Palace
Haringey’s boys booked their place at the London Youth Games basketball finals with an impressive display at the qualifying event.
Last year’s silver medallists were the highest scorers in the group phase, having eased past Ealing (34-14) and also beaten Lewisham (25-21) and Barnet (23-18).
That set up a quarter-final meeting with 2016 finalists Havering, with Haringey maintaining their excellent shooting form to claim a 27-20 win which sets up a semi-final date with Croydon at Crystal Palace next month.
The Haringey girls are also in the hunt for medals after qualifying from their own competition.
You may also want to watch:
They were edged out 21-16 by Richmond in their first group match, but romped past Harrow by a whopping 55-3 margin and also put Greenwich to the sword in a 42-2 win, while earning a walkover against Havering who withdrew.
That left Haringey in second place in the group, but they bounced back to beat Lambeth (20-2) in the quarter-finals and will face Richmond again in the semi-finals.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 9 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 10 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
Coach Dan Bowmaker said: “I’m really pleased. We started with a tough game in our pool and began with a loss but we pulled through and we’re pleased to beat Lambeth who are a good side.”