Skolars beaten at Workington in final away game
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Betfred League One: Workington Town 38 London Skolars 6
London Skolars’ final away game of the season in Betfred League One ended in a 38-6 defeat at Workington Town.
The visitors were put under pressure early on which eventually told when Tylar Mellor dotted down for Town.
A penalty for obstruction gave the hosts another chance to attack and Sean Penkywicz’s pass opened up a gap for Tyler Dickinson to go in under the posts.
Skolars forced an error from the kick-off, but lost possession early in the tackle count.
Rob Butler put in a big tackle to stop New Zealand and Tongan international Fuifui Moimoi, but when Skolars next had the ball, they again lost possession near the line.
When a long kick went dead, London’s Matt Fleming obstructed Sam Forrester as he brought the ball to the 20-metre restart and was yellow carded.
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 4 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 5 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 6 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 7 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 8 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
The visitors worked hard while a man down, with Mike Bishay taking over the fullback role.
Despite a strong run from Jordan Williams, the closest Skolars got to the line was when Lameck Juma was held up on it.
Two minutes after Fleming returned, London transgressed again with Mike Greenhalgh being sin-binned for obstruction.
The visitors held out to half-time, but Town scored early in the second perios when Jamie Doran kicked to the right for Scott Rooke to score in the corner.
A break down the right by Skolars saw Fleming go over in the corner, but he was stopped from grounding the ball by a kick in the tackle.
A penalty try was awarded for that offence by the hosts and the resultant conversion for Charlie Lawrence was made under the posts.
Workington responded quickly, with Oliver Wilkes strolling through the centre of the defence.
Fleming looked to have scored his second after a kick-and-chase, but that was ruled out for offside.
Billy Driver was unfortunate to be sin-binned when he collided with the referee after trying to avoid running into Michael Sykes and Skolars had another ten minute period with 12 men.
That took its toll with Carl Forber kicking into space on for Rooke to score on the right wing again.
There was no stopping Moimoi as he went over from close range with Forber kicking his fifth goal of the afternoon.
Skolars are back in action at the Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing on Saturday when they host Oldham in their final game of the season.