Wingate take advantage of goalkeeping night-Mar
- Credit: Archant
Ryman Premier Division: Wingate & Finchley 1 Margate 0
A howler from Margate goalkeeper Craig Holloway gifted Anthony Thomas the decisive goal as Wingate overcame their promotion-chasing visitors on Saturday.
Thomas’ inswinging first-half cross looked like it would be harmlessly gathered by Holloway, but the ball bounced in front of the former Arsenal trainee and went through his legs to give the hosts the lead, which ultimately proved to be a winning one.
However, the Blues were brought back down to earth on Tuesday evening as they suffered a 4-2 home defeat against Lewes.
Wayne O’Sullivan gave W&F the lead from the penalty spot in the ninth minute, but Lewes hit back to take a 2-1 lead into half-time – and they extended their lead after the interval.
Thomas nearly scored a stunning goal with a lob from the centre circle that hit the bar, and he then made it 3-2 with a free kick.
But Lewes re-established their two-goal margin as Ryan Fergany scored with a free kick of his own at the other end – which was just as well because the visitors were reduced to 10 men in the dying moments when Chris Breach was shown a red card for an alleged stamp.
- 1 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 2 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 3 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 5 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 6 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 7 Infected Blood Inquiry: Transfusion centre was 'disaster zone'
- 8 Villa Bianca brings the Christmas cheer to Hampstead
- 9 Haringey Council makes senior leadership appointments
- 10 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week