Wingate & Finchley suffer away defeat at Isthmian North side Cheshunt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pre-season friendly: Cheshunt 3 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley failed to build on a strong first-half performance, as they lost 3-2 to Cheshunt in a pre-season friendly last night.
Rob Laney and Reece Beckles-Richards netted during the opening 45 at Theobalds Lane, but the Isthmian North side responded positively to earn a win.
Jason Harris opened the scoring after two minutes for Cheshunt, but Wingate hit back immediately.
Laney outmuscled his opponent before squaring to Beckles-Richards to equalise four minutes later.
After being the provider, Laney went close to finding the net on two separate occasions in the first half.
The Wingate forward finally did get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time when he headed home Joe Sharpe’s free kick.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 5 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 6 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 7 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 8 'Facile questions and ludicrous voices of opposition for "balance"'
- 9 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire
- 10 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
It didn’t take Cheshunt long to get back on level terms, however, when Jonny Ashman fired home following a mistake.
Mark Summers then put the Ambers ahead following a mazy run and despite late pressure, Wingate suffered a 3-2 defeat.