Wingate & Finchley suffer away defeat at Isthmian North side Cheshunt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pre-season friendly: Cheshunt 3 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley failed to build on a strong first-half performance, as they lost 3-2 to Cheshunt in a pre-season friendly last night.
Rob Laney and Reece Beckles-Richards netted during the opening 45 at Theobalds Lane, but the Isthmian North side responded positively to earn a win.
Jason Harris opened the scoring after two minutes for Cheshunt, but Wingate hit back immediately.
Laney outmuscled his opponent before squaring to Beckles-Richards to equalise four minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
After being the provider, Laney went close to finding the net on two separate occasions in the first half.
The Wingate forward finally did get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time when he headed home Joe Sharpe’s free kick.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
It didn’t take Cheshunt long to get back on level terms, however, when Jonny Ashman fired home following a mistake.
Mark Summers then put the Ambers ahead following a mazy run and despite late pressure, Wingate suffered a 3-2 defeat.