Wingate & Finchley suffer away defeat at Isthmian North side Cheshunt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pre-season friendly: Cheshunt 3 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley failed to build on a strong first-half performance, as they lost 3-2 to Cheshunt in a pre-season friendly last night.
Rob Laney and Reece Beckles-Richards netted during the opening 45 at Theobalds Lane, but the Isthmian North side responded positively to earn a win.
Jason Harris opened the scoring after two minutes for Cheshunt, but Wingate hit back immediately.
Laney outmuscled his opponent before squaring to Beckles-Richards to equalise four minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
After being the provider, Laney went close to finding the net on two separate occasions in the first half.
The Wingate forward finally did get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time when he headed home Joe Sharpe’s free kick.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 6 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 7 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
It didn’t take Cheshunt long to get back on level terms, however, when Jonny Ashman fired home following a mistake.
Mark Summers then put the Ambers ahead following a mazy run and despite late pressure, Wingate suffered a 3-2 defeat.