Wingate & Finchley suffer away defeat at Isthmian North side Cheshunt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pre-season friendly: Cheshunt 3 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley failed to build on a strong first-half performance, as they lost 3-2 to Cheshunt in a pre-season friendly last night.
Rob Laney and Reece Beckles-Richards netted during the opening 45 at Theobalds Lane, but the Isthmian North side responded positively to earn a win.
Jason Harris opened the scoring after two minutes for Cheshunt, but Wingate hit back immediately.
Laney outmuscled his opponent before squaring to Beckles-Richards to equalise four minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
After being the provider, Laney went close to finding the net on two separate occasions in the first half.
The Wingate forward finally did get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time when he headed home Joe Sharpe’s free kick.
- 1 How Agatha Christie spent the war in Hampstead
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 4 Teenage girls banned from Camden after Hampstead robbery spree
- 5 'No one cares': Mother claims 'horrible' leaks and mould left ignored
- 6 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 7 Hampstead man 'scammed out of £700' by DPD worker
- 8 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 9 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
- 10 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
It didn’t take Cheshunt long to get back on level terms, however, when Jonny Ashman fired home following a mistake.
Mark Summers then put the Ambers ahead following a mazy run and despite late pressure, Wingate suffered a 3-2 defeat.