Wingate & Finchley start 2015 with derby triumph over Enfield Town

Wingate's matchwinner Scott Shulton is first to the ball against Enfield Town. Pic: Martin Addison

Wingate's matchwinner Scott Shulton is first to the ball against Enfield Town. Pic: Martin Addison - Credit: Archant

Wingate & Finchley kicked off 2015 in the best possible way, completing the double over local rivals Enfield Town after a 1-0 home win on New Year’s Day.

Blues captain Marc Weatherstone recently described Enfield as “the ones we really like to beat” and Scott Shulton’s second-half winner ensured they did just that, leaving them sixth in the Ryman League Premier Division table, two points outside the play-offs.

The game kicked off in a lively manner, with both sides pressing and winning the ball back from each other.

Karl Oliyide’s shot curled over the crossbar after three minutes, a shot reminiscent of his goal at Hendon – and five minutes later, Enfield’s Stanley Muguo also shot over.

A quiet spell followed, with neither side making the most of some good breaks, and David Knight’s curling effort was saved low by Nathan McDonald.

The last chance of the half was engineered by Weatherstone, Mark Goodman and Ola Sogbanmu, who fed the ball through to Rob Laney, but his effort missed the near post.

The second period began with Ronayne Marsh-Brown sending his corner kick to the outside of the box, where Oliyide volleyed over.

Most Read

However, the deadlock was finally broken on the hour-mark. Knight was played in down the left-hand side and his cross to the back post was met by an onrushing Shulton, who volleyed in from eight yards.

Enfield had still not registered a shot on target and, on 75 minutes, substitute Liam Hope curled wide from outside the area.

W&F then had two chances ina minute. Shulton attempted an audacious shot from the halfway line after spotting McDonald off his line, but the shot fell just wide of the left-hand post. Laney then lobbed over the onrushing McDonald, but Phil Kane ran back and headed away.

Wingate had two late chances to put the game to bed. Knight curled wide in the 85th minute before squaring to Shulton in injury-time – but the goalscorer blazed over with only a defender on the line.

Enfield finally registered their first shot on target at the death, but it was a tame header from Mark Kirby into the hands of Bobby Smith.