Wingate & Finchley’s under-23s look to complete double by winning Bostik League U23 League Cup final against Hastings United
- Credit: Archant
Dean Barker’s young squad lost Friday’s Champion of Champions final to Margate, but will aim to bounce back at Parkside this evening
Wingate & Finchley’s under-23s will play the last match of a successful 2017/18 season tonight and hope to complete the double.
Dean Barker’s team were crowned winners of the Bostik Development North League earlier this month and had sights set on a treble after clinching the title.
A 3-2 defeat on Friday to Margate in the Champion of Champions final at Aveley’s Parkside ended those hopes.
The tie was goalless at half time, despite a flurry of chances, but five goals occurred after the restart.
Margate went two goals ahead before the Blues pulled one back in he 69th minute thanks to Ben Pattie’s penalty.
Wingate conceded a third nine minutes later, but didn’t give up hope and reduced the deficit with three minutes left when Ned Clarke’s effort deflected in.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 3 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 4 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 7 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 8 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
Although Barker’s youngsters pushed for a late leveller, it wasn’t forthcoming and they had to settle for runners-up medals.
Nevertheless, it was a fine effort against a strong Margate team and Wingate still have one final chance to finish with more silverware.
This evening they will take on Hastings United’s under-23s in the League Cup of the Bostik League under-23 competition.
It is a 7.30pm kick-off and admission is free at Parkside, Park Lane, Aveley, RM15 4PX.