Wingate & Finchley rename their home ground the Maurice Rebak Stadium after club’s co-founder
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley are renaming their home in Summers Lane in memory of Wingate FC co-founder Maurice Rebak, who passed away in February at the age of 95.
A ceremony will take place ahead of the Blues’ final pre-season friendly against Aveley on Saturday (kick-off 4pm), when the club’s ground will officially become the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Rebak, along with his brothers Asher and David and Frank Davis, founded Wingate FC in 1946. The club merged with Finchley in 1991.
On the pitch, Wingate’s run of five successive friendly victories was ended last night (Tuesday), when Keith Rowlands’ side lost 2-1 at home against National League South outfit Wealdstone.
Meanwhile, Haringey Borough continued their pre-season schedule with a 3-1 home win over Essex Senior League side FC Romania on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
New boy Ruaridh Kay opened the scoring and, although the visitors levelled, Christopher Benjamin struck twice in injury time. Enfield Town visit Coles Park this Saturday (3pm) and entry is free.
Borough’s ladies secured their fourth successive pre-season victory on Sunday, beating Old Actonians 2-1 at home, with Jaidene Browne netting both goals. Haringey host Denham United on Sunday (3pm).
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid