Early goals help Wingate progress past Mildenhall in Velocity Trophy
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy: Mildenhall Town 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley secured their second victory of the season last night with a 2-1 win at Mildenhall Town in the first round of the Velocity Trophy.
All three goals occurred in the opening quarter of an hour and although Shane Gore was called into action afterwards, the Blues held on to make it through.
The opener arrived after four minutes when Wingate moved the ball around well and Timothy Monsheju played Reece Beckles-Richards in on goal, and he chipped over Blake Horton to make it 1-0.
Mildenhall responded quickly, however, with Luke Butcher tapping home after the hosts had threatened from a corner.
You may also want to watch:
A frantic start wasn’t finished there though, as in the 15th minute Beckles-Richards got in again and this time cut back for Lewis Putman to score his first for the club.
More opportunities were created at Recreation Way, but it finished 2-1 to send the Blues into the second round.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release