Wingate & Finchley seal first league victory of the season
- Credit: Archant
Isthmian Premier League: Wingate & Finchley 4 Lewes 1
Wingate & Finchley sealed their first win of the new Isthmian Premier League as they cruised to a comfortable 4-1 victory over Lewes.
A brace from Billy Healey and goals from both Bilal Sayoud and Kavan Cotter sealed the three points for Spencer Knight’s men at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Although it did not start the way the hosts would have intended as Lewes’ Ayotimiwa Bolarinwa opened the scoring in the fourth minute to give his side the lead.
It was short lived as Wingate struck back seven minutes later as Bilal Sayoud beat his man on the left wing, drove inside and picked out the far corner with a shot-cum-cross that flies over the goalkeeper and into the net.
You may also want to watch:
In the 14th minute the hosts gained the lead when Suleiman Bakalandwa whipped a cross in, advantage played as Healey is bundled over attempting to reach it and Kavan Cotter volleyed in at the back post.
Wingate then made it 3-1 as Healey met a free-kick floated in deep to the back post and skimmed a header into the bottom corner and they took that lead into the half-time break.
- 1 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 2 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 3 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 4 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 9 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
In the 77th minute Wingate wrapped it up as Chris Doyle’s cross slipped through two defenders and Healey is there to tap home his second of the game.