Wingate & Finchley seal first league victory of the season
- Credit: Archant
Isthmian Premier League: Wingate & Finchley 4 Lewes 1
Wingate & Finchley sealed their first win of the new Isthmian Premier League as they cruised to a comfortable 4-1 victory over Lewes.
A brace from Billy Healey and goals from both Bilal Sayoud and Kavan Cotter sealed the three points for Spencer Knight’s men at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Although it did not start the way the hosts would have intended as Lewes’ Ayotimiwa Bolarinwa opened the scoring in the fourth minute to give his side the lead.
It was short lived as Wingate struck back seven minutes later as Bilal Sayoud beat his man on the left wing, drove inside and picked out the far corner with a shot-cum-cross that flies over the goalkeeper and into the net.
In the 14th minute the hosts gained the lead when Suleiman Bakalandwa whipped a cross in, advantage played as Healey is bundled over attempting to reach it and Kavan Cotter volleyed in at the back post.
Wingate then made it 3-1 as Healey met a free-kick floated in deep to the back post and skimmed a header into the bottom corner and they took that lead into the half-time break.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 4 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 5 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 6 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 7 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 8 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 9 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 10 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
In the 77th minute Wingate wrapped it up as Chris Doyle’s cross slipped through two defenders and Healey is there to tap home his second of the game.