Wingate & Finchley remain bottom after Leatherhead defeat
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier Division: Wingate & Finchley 1 Leatherhead 2
Wingate & Finchley remain bottom of the Isthmian Premier Division after falling to a narrow 2-1 defeat against Leatherhead.
The Blues got off to a strong start with an early goal from Luke Ifil but a brace from the Tanners striker Jake Embery in the second-half gave them the three points at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
A few early chances for Wingate were wasted until the 20th minute when Johnville Renee collected a ball and bobbled a pass across the box for Luke Ifil to slot under the goalkeeper.
Spencer Knight's men held onto that lead until the half-time break and went in 1-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
The lead didn't last long after the restart as former Maidstone United youngster Embery as he fired a shot from distance that appeared to take a deflection past experienced goalkeeper Shane Gore.
In the 71st minute Embery bagged his second of the match as he collected a through ball and chipped it over Gore to give the visitors a 2-1 lead.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 10 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
Wingate desperately searched for an equaliser but failed to find one - meaning they will have to turn their attentions to their match against Cheshunt this weekend.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Platt, Farrell, Rifat (Read 74), Grace, Njie, Ifil (Kennedy 45), Ochieng, Akinsanya, Renee, Sayoud (Ruff 59).
Unused subs: Tejan-Sie and Oluwatimilehin.
Leatherhead: Oualah, Seager, Lema, Mensah (McGee 78), Salmon, Nnamani (Ikebuasi 49), Gregory, Hester-Cook, Embery (Djmaili 85), McNab, Robinson.
Unused subs: Dawkins and Correira.