Wingate & Finchley remain bottom after Leatherhead defeat
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier Division: Wingate & Finchley 1 Leatherhead 2
Wingate & Finchley remain bottom of the Isthmian Premier Division after falling to a narrow 2-1 defeat against Leatherhead.
The Blues got off to a strong start with an early goal from Luke Ifil but a brace from the Tanners striker Jake Embery in the second-half gave them the three points at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
A few early chances for Wingate were wasted until the 20th minute when Johnville Renee collected a ball and bobbled a pass across the box for Luke Ifil to slot under the goalkeeper.
Spencer Knight's men held onto that lead until the half-time break and went in 1-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
The lead didn't last long after the restart as former Maidstone United youngster Embery as he fired a shot from distance that appeared to take a deflection past experienced goalkeeper Shane Gore.
In the 71st minute Embery bagged his second of the match as he collected a through ball and chipped it over Gore to give the visitors a 2-1 lead.
- 1 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 2 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 3 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 4 Covid-19: Area around Royal Free one of few in UK to avoid deaths
- 5 'Paul the Paper' shuts up shop in Crouch End for the final time
- 6 Free Nazanin: Pressure on government rises as end of sentence approaches
- 7 Arteta concerned about Arsenal striker Nketiah
- 8 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 9 Highgate's Victorian 'pineapple' railings repaired and restored.
- 10 Woodland is being damage - time to show some respect
Wingate desperately searched for an equaliser but failed to find one - meaning they will have to turn their attentions to their match against Cheshunt this weekend.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Platt, Farrell, Rifat (Read 74), Grace, Njie, Ifil (Kennedy 45), Ochieng, Akinsanya, Renee, Sayoud (Ruff 59).
Unused subs: Tejan-Sie and Oluwatimilehin.
Leatherhead: Oualah, Seager, Lema, Mensah (McGee 78), Salmon, Nnamani (Ikebuasi 49), Gregory, Hester-Cook, Embery (Djmaili 85), McNab, Robinson.
Unused subs: Dawkins and Correira.