Wingate & Finchley into Ryman Premier play-off place
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley’s determination was evident again as a 2-1 win lifted them above Leiston and into the Ryman League Premier Division play-offs.
After two wins in recent weeks thanks to late goals, Wingate needed an 87th minute winner from Tommy Tejan-Sie in Suffolk, although the hosts pulled one back two minutes later to make added time more nervy than they would have liked.
Ben Pattie had opened the scoring midway through the second half.
The Blues started the brightest and Pattie tested Nick Eyre with a low curling effort while Ahmet Rifat volley across the face of goal.
At the other end, Shane Gore forced Matt Blake’s low drive away low to his right before denying the same player from 12 yards.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half Tejan-Sie broke to the left and found Pattie. His initial strike was deflected into the path of Reece Beckles-Richards who was denied by Eyre from two-yards out.
Spencer McCall then dropped a free-kick right inside the six-yard box, meeting Rifat’s timely run, but he volleyed just wide past a flat-footed Eyre.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Keith Rowland’s outfit finally took a deserved lead with 20 minutes remaining. Beckles-Richards latched onto Eyre’s loose goalkick before crossing for Pattie who fired into the bottom corner with his second touch.
The second saw substitute Walter Figueira burst forward before playing in Tejan-Sie, who guided the ball back across goal for a classy finish.
Leiston responded late on, Gareth Heath’s out-swinging corner was headed back towards goal by Patrick Brothers and Joe Francis to hook home.
Winagte will look to consolidate their fifth position when they host Harrow Borough tomorrow (Tuesday).