Wingate & Finchley crash out of the FA Trophy
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
FA Trophy: Hayes & Yeading 2 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley crashed out of the FA Trophy with a 2-1 defeat to Hayes & Yeading in a first round qualifying tie.
An early goal from long-serving Ahmet Rifat was cancelled out by goals from Joe Grant and Liam McDevitt to seal progress for United.
They drew 1-1 on Saturday meaning the game moved to a replay at The SkyEx Community Stadium.
Rifat opened the scoring for the Blues as he fired a shot home with the outside of his boot following a pass from former Leyton Orient youngster Henry Ochieng in the seventh minute to give his side the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides had chances but Wingate held onto their 1-0 lead until the half-time break.
Two minutes into the second-half the hosts managed to level the score thanks to Joe Grant as he looped an effort into the net.
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 4 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 5 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 8 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 9 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
In the 80th minute Charlie Ruff held the ball up and played a pass for Eoin McKeown to hit but goalkeeper Jack Smith saved with his legs.
Seconds later Smith was there to turn Olumide Oluwatimilehin's powerful effort around the post.
It was heartbreak for Spencer Knight's men as on the stroke of half-time McDevitt headed home from a corner to seal a 2-1 win.
Hayes & Yeading: Smith, Renee (Little 71), Williams, Cook, McDevitt, Robinson, Clark, Rowe, Buchanan, Jalloh, Roberts (Grant 46).
Unused subs: McCorkell, Obi, Piorkowski, Della-Verde.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Michael-Percil, Oluwatimilehin, Fleming (McKeown 71), Ochieng (Ruff 61), Tejan-Sie.
Unused subs: Platt, Hall, Dupray, Kennedy, Hale-Brown.