Wingate & Finchley crash out of the FA Trophy
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
FA Trophy: Hayes & Yeading 2 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley crashed out of the FA Trophy with a 2-1 defeat to Hayes & Yeading in a first round qualifying tie.
An early goal from long-serving Ahmet Rifat was cancelled out by goals from Joe Grant and Liam McDevitt to seal progress for United.
They drew 1-1 on Saturday meaning the game moved to a replay at The SkyEx Community Stadium.
Rifat opened the scoring for the Blues as he fired a shot home with the outside of his boot following a pass from former Leyton Orient youngster Henry Ochieng in the seventh minute to give his side the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides had chances but Wingate held onto their 1-0 lead until the half-time break.
Two minutes into the second-half the hosts managed to level the score thanks to Joe Grant as he looped an effort into the net.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
In the 80th minute Charlie Ruff held the ball up and played a pass for Eoin McKeown to hit but goalkeeper Jack Smith saved with his legs.
Seconds later Smith was there to turn Olumide Oluwatimilehin's powerful effort around the post.
It was heartbreak for Spencer Knight's men as on the stroke of half-time McDevitt headed home from a corner to seal a 2-1 win.
Hayes & Yeading: Smith, Renee (Little 71), Williams, Cook, McDevitt, Robinson, Clark, Rowe, Buchanan, Jalloh, Roberts (Grant 46).
Unused subs: McCorkell, Obi, Piorkowski, Della-Verde.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Michael-Percil, Oluwatimilehin, Fleming (McKeown 71), Ochieng (Ruff 61), Tejan-Sie.
Unused subs: Platt, Hall, Dupray, Kennedy, Hale-Brown.