Wingate and Haringey suffer frustrating Bostik Premier defeats
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
The Blues lost 3-0 at home to Folkstone Invicta while Borough went down 2-1 at Leatherhead
Wingate & Finchley and Haringey Borough suffered defeats in the Bostik Premier last weekend.
Keith Rowland’s Blues hosted Folkestone Invicta, but lost 3-0 while Tom Loizou’s new boys went down 2-1 at Leatherhead.
Both were frustrating results for the north Londoners after encouraging results last time out.
The Blues made a poor start at home to Invicta and went behind after 10 minutes when Johan Ter Horst volleyed home a cross from the left.
Eventually the Maurice Rebak Stadium club regrouped and began to create chances, but a key incident occurred on the stroke of half time.
Invicta looked set to double their lead when a shot beat home goalkeeper Shane Gore, but Sean Cronin handed on the line.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 3 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 4 Motorists handed fines for visiting Covid-19 car park test centre
- 5 Stolen car crashes in Kentish Town leaving woman hospitalised
- 6 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 7 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 Autistic TV presenter joins Hampstead pupils for 'most wonderful day'
- 10 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
The Wingate defender received his marching orders as a result and a penalty kick was awarded to the visitors.
Gore showed his class with a fine save to deny Adam Yusuff just before the interval and keep it 1-0 at the break.
Wingate’s respite was short-lived, however, as Yusuff doubled Invicta’s lead five minutes after the restart.
It was 3-0 seven minutes later when Jack Evans beat Gore, but the hosts managed to not concede anymore goals following a spirited second half display with only 10-men.
Haringey Borough also suffered a defeat in front of a packed Fetcham Grove with 335 in attendance.
Leatherhead took the lead after only 18 minutes through Shaun Okojie and increased their advantage 13 minutes later.
Travis Gregory managed to beat Valery Pajetet and Loizou’s team trailed by two goals at the break.
A strong start to the second-half was required and Borough got it when Joel Nouble reduced the deficit in the 47th minute.
Haringey were unable to find a leveller and sit 10th after three games while Wingate are 20th and in the bottom three.