Wingate and Haringey suffer frustrating Bostik Premier defeats
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
The Blues lost 3-0 at home to Folkstone Invicta while Borough went down 2-1 at Leatherhead
Wingate & Finchley and Haringey Borough suffered defeats in the Bostik Premier last weekend.
Keith Rowland’s Blues hosted Folkestone Invicta, but lost 3-0 while Tom Loizou’s new boys went down 2-1 at Leatherhead.
Both were frustrating results for the north Londoners after encouraging results last time out.
The Blues made a poor start at home to Invicta and went behind after 10 minutes when Johan Ter Horst volleyed home a cross from the left.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually the Maurice Rebak Stadium club regrouped and began to create chances, but a key incident occurred on the stroke of half time.
Invicta looked set to double their lead when a shot beat home goalkeeper Shane Gore, but Sean Cronin handed on the line.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 6 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 9 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
The Wingate defender received his marching orders as a result and a penalty kick was awarded to the visitors.
Gore showed his class with a fine save to deny Adam Yusuff just before the interval and keep it 1-0 at the break.
Wingate’s respite was short-lived, however, as Yusuff doubled Invicta’s lead five minutes after the restart.
It was 3-0 seven minutes later when Jack Evans beat Gore, but the hosts managed to not concede anymore goals following a spirited second half display with only 10-men.
Haringey Borough also suffered a defeat in front of a packed Fetcham Grove with 335 in attendance.
Leatherhead took the lead after only 18 minutes through Shaun Okojie and increased their advantage 13 minutes later.
Travis Gregory managed to beat Valery Pajetet and Loizou’s team trailed by two goals at the break.
A strong start to the second-half was required and Borough got it when Joel Nouble reduced the deficit in the 47th minute.
Haringey were unable to find a leveller and sit 10th after three games while Wingate are 20th and in the bottom three.